Defrosted Chicken Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I defrosted chicken thinking my daughter was going to be here for dinner but she had to work. Is it safe to refrigerate it and use it tomorrow or should I grill it up or at least blanch it for use later? It's been in cold water while it defrosted.

Refrigerate and cook it tomorrow. If it is safe to cook today, it's safe to refrigerate for a day.

If you decide otherwise, don't blanch it, cook it fully. Partially cooking chicken is dangerous.

Thanks Andy, I'm having a very frustrating day not the least of which is problems with my stupid CI grill and then darling daughter not telling me she wouldnt be here for dinner.

It depends how you defrosted the chicken, but yes if defrosted right you can put them in the fridge and they will be fine to cook tomorrow. In school the servsafe book says you are supposed to defrost stuff under cold running water or in the fridge. I know most people do not do that, but that is what servsafe says to do.

It depends how you defrosted the chicken, but yes if defrosted right you can put them in the fridge and they will be fine to cook tomorrow. In school the servsafe book says you are supposed to defrost stuff under cold running water or in the fridge. I know most people do not do that, but that is what servsafe says to do.
Hey Sweetie, I did say I defrosted in cold water. I'm sorry, but those with unlimited water supplies can't understand those of us that don't. We have to just run a cold water bath and toss the bags in them. Still cold water is the same as running, it just takes a touch longer.

Thanks Andy, I'm having a very frustrating day not the least of which is problems with my stupid CI grill and then darling daughter not telling me she wouldnt be here for dinner.
Oh just cook up the chicken, I'll be there in an hour, I'll bring 2 sides, and we'll take pictures and send them to darling daughter! With a note: We had a delightful time, so sorry you couldn't be here. See you tomorrow, bring dinner! :ohmy::LOL::LOL::LOL: ~Blissful

I did the same thing last sunday, ended up cooking oly wednesday, it was very yummy and everybody are just fine.

Hey Sweetie, I did say I defrosted in cold water. I'm sorry, but those with unlimited water supplies can't understand those of us that don't. We have to just run a cold water bath and toss the bags in them. Still cold water is the same as running, it just takes a touch longer.

I agree with you and at home do not defrost under running cold water. I was just simply saying what the serv safe book said, and what is standard in most restaraunts. The book says there are four ways to thaw foods. In the refrigerator at 41 degrees or colder, submerged under running potable water at a temperature of 70 degrees of lower, in the microwave oven if the food will be cooked immediately after thawing, or in the cooking process. The book says to do it under running water so that you wash loose food particles into the drain.

I do not expect the home cook to follow these rules, and I myself do not thaw under running water. I like to thaw in the fridge or cooking process a lot of the time. If I do thaw with water I just change the water about once every hour.

I was not saying you should do it under running cold water, I was just simply giving you the facts.

Considering the food was in a freezer bag, changing the water was unnecessary. If running water is the thought process to wash loose food away, food in a bag wouldn't be affected by this.

May I suggest, to avoid future confusion, if you are going to offer restaurant based advice, which your text books are, you qualify it. What is done in a restaurant isn't always practical in the home setting.

"In school the servsafe book says you are supposed to defrost stuff under cold running water or in the fridge."
Sounds like it was qualified from the beginning.
I don't think the running water is for washing stuff down the drain, but rather, to keep the water cold. Just a thought.
As to your question, yes, I would just refrigerate it and cook it tomorrow OR cook it all the way through and then reheat to the proper temp tomorrow.

"In school the servsafe book says you are supposed to defrost stuff under cold running water or in the fridge."
Sounds like it was qualified from the beginning.
It qualified that it was information from school, not which kind of school and not for what type of environment. My daughter takes cooking in school but that's for home cooking. Assuming is what leads to problems. I was suggesting he qualify further his information.

OK, Callisto, I think your question has been answered yes? The rest of all this stuff just sounds a bit snippy at each other. I'm going to close this down now to end that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom