Do Potatoes Need To Be Refrigerated After Being Baked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You said you had never heard of toxins on potatoes. I gave you an example.

I'm not going to eat cooked food that has been unrefrigerated for 12 hours no matter where it has been, and I'm not going to suggest to others that it's safe. YMMV.

Last edited:
I am not asking you to do anything potato salad and potatoes are two different things it isn't the potatoes it is the mayonnaise this is why you can eat potato chips if you want to suggest toxins on baked potatoes then try to find an example of toxins on baked potatoes that have not been wrapped in foil instead of using a totally different food

I am not asking you to do anything potato salad and potatoes are two different things it isn't the potatoes it is the mayonnaise this is why you can eat potato chips if you want to suggest toxins on baked potatoes then try to find an example of toxins on baked potatoes that have not been wrapped in foil instead of using a totally different food

Can I ask one favor? Please use some punctuation and capitalization. Your post has 4 complete sentences, but it's nearly impossible to read.

I am not asking you to do anything

I didn't say you were. I was simply stating my position.

potato salad and potatoes are two different things it isn't the potatoes it is the mayonnaise

No. Adding the potatoes to the mayonnaise negates the preserving properties of the acid and salt in the mayonnaise.

this is why you can eat potato chips

No. Potato chips don't have enough moisture to support the growth of pathogens, plus they have preservatives (salt and others) that inhibit the growth of pathogens (and yes, as a Master Gardener, Master Food Volunteer and holder of a ServSafe certificate, I do know the definitions of pathogens, bacteria, viruses, yeast, mold, etc., thank you very much).

if you want to suggest toxins on baked potatoes then try to find an example of toxins on baked potatoes that have not been wrapped in foil instead of using a totally different food

I wasn't doing that, as I clearly said yesterday. You said that you have never heard of toxins on potatoes: I gave you an example where that happens.

Back to the beginning: I suggest avoiding the problem altogether by not leaving baked goods in the oven after baking. Put them on the counter so you will be reminded to put them away.

GG. You are using a lot of speculation, I am using science. There is no case of toxins on a plain baked potato left in the oven. The toxin scare is used often in these discussions but is extremely rare. No onw is going to get food poisoning from eating a baked potato left in the oven over night.
I do not wish to get into whose background is better but I do have a degree in enviromental health and spent many years inspecting restaurants.

You said you had never heard of toxins on potatoes. I gave you an example.

I'm not going to eat cooked food that has been unrefrigerated for 12 hours no matter where it has been, and I'm not going to suggest to others that it's safe. YMMV.

We were talking about baked potatoes left in an oven, not toxins on any form of potatoes or dish made out of potatoes. Your link clearly indicates that it is the mayo that has had its PH raised that is the problem, not the potato. Staph grows on protein rich foods like dairy or meats or eggs. Further, and more to the point at hand, the potato salad would have to be 1) contaminated with live staph organisms, and 2) improperly stored in order for the bacteria to multiply and produce toxin.

This can't happen with a baked potato left in the oven, because the heat would kill the bacteria. Now if you want to assume the potato was contaminated with staph that grew on the potato before it was put in the oven, and thus had toxin on it, then 1) there is no history of staph growing on raw potato, and 2) the potato would have the toxin on it when it was put in the oven, so even eating it immediately would result in food poisoning. So if that is your position, then you would never eat a baked potato.

We were talking about baked potatoes left in an oven, not toxins on any form of potatoes or dish made out of potatoes. Your link clearly indicates that it is the mayo that has had its PH raised that is the problem, not the potato. Staph grows on protein rich foods like dairy or meats or eggs. Further, and more to the point at hand, the potato salad would have to be 1) contaminated with live staph organisms, and 2) improperly stored in order for the bacteria to multiply and produce toxin.

This can't happen with a baked potato left in the oven, because the heat would kill the bacteria. Now if you want to assume the potato was contaminated with staph that grew on the potato before it was put in the oven, and thus had toxin on it, then 1) there is no history of staph growing on raw potato, and 2) the potato would have the toxin on it when it was put in the oven, so even eating it immediately would result in food poisoning. So if that is your position, then you would never eat a baked potato.

We already went through all that. Do you have something new to add?

4d8203e707b68b050b9071ade86552b7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom