Frat Salisbury Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Media fix everything, I tell ya.

The problem with the media is using them is like trying to take a drink from a fire hose; you may get a little water where you want it, but a whole lot where you don't.

Here are the main problems with using the media now, as I see it, in this situation.

First, they are going ask, "Have you been to the Health Department? If you say no, then they will wonder why. If you saw a child being abused, would you call the media or child protective services first? If you saw an animal being abused, would you call the media or Animal Services first.
In my experience, the media likes to run with something after it happens, not before. "The Lodge thawed their fish outside the cooler" as bad as that sounds to us here, is not a real grabber for them.

Second, the media has no legal access to the kitchen. When they show up and tell the Lodge manager they want to do a story on the lousy food handling practices in their kitchen, what do you think he is going to say? If they lie to get access, they lose credibility. Remember, the people in this lodge are likely some of the same people in the community that advertise with and support the media. And who do you think the boss is going to suspect called them?

The Health Department, on the other hand, has the legal right of entry into the kitchen at any time they are open, and refusal to allow them that entry can result in the kitchen being shut down and their license being revoked.

Third, the media has no special knowledge about proper food handling practices so they won't know a violation if they saw it. Many reporters probably think a lot of the things described here are fine. This is why they would much rather follow up on the result of a poor inspection conducted by the health department. I cannot imagine them writing a story or putting it on TV without contacting the Health Department first.

Back
Top Bottom