Fridge life of previously frozen fish fillets...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer75

Senior Cook
I've got a pound of Basa fillet in the fridge....not frozen, for two days now. Is it still ok to eat for dinner tonight? Should it have been frozen?

Was it already thawed when it went in the fridge...or did it thaw in the fridge???
Either way, I'm thinking you're on the borderline...If it smells ok you are probably good to go for tonight.

Basa??? Ya can't get Catfish in "Caulifornia"??

Eat it today or toss it! Simple as that. and if it doesn't smell right, toss it now.

Julia Child taught me to store fish atop a dish of ice and water. Rewrap it as soon as you get it home, and put it on the dish. It will keep, fresh as a daisy two days. If you have to shop farther ahead than that, then rewrap your fish as soon as you get it home, and put it into double zip lock freezer bags and into the freezer promptly. Thaw in the fridge or under COLD running water (NEVER in the microwave!)

I cooked it up...tasted and smelled fine before frying. Well, smelled fine before frying. Tasted just as fabulous after frying. ;)

Gawd I love fried fish nuggets. Yum.

Was it already thawed when it went in the fridge...or did it thaw in the fridge???
Either way, I'm thinking you're on the borderline...If it smells ok you are probably good to go for tonight.

Basa??? Ya can't get Catfish in "Caulifornia"??

Oh, it was mostly thawed when I put it in the fridge.

Yes you can get Catfish, but the BF doesn't like it as much as a Basa or Tilapia, and I've noticed Catfish is a little sloppy when fried.

So you know something I don't?

Yes you can get Catfish, but the BF doesn't like it as much as a Basa or Tilapia, and I've noticed Catfish is a little sloppy when fried.

I'm not sure I understand the term "sloppy" when applied to fried fish of any species...

Basa is a species of Imported Catfish....

Know your fishmonger....You may be buying Tra...instead of true Basa.

Have Fun!!

Well, sloppy to me, is wet and mushy.

Either way, Tra or Basa, I love it. Pollock is good too. I love fryin that up.

What is Tra, anyways?

Well, sloppy to me, is wet and mushy.

Either way, Tra or Basa, I love it. Pollock is good too. I love fryin that up.

What is Tra, anyways?

Tra --- A member of the same family as Basa -- Considered inferior to true Basa -- Grows faster than Basa --- Cheaper to raise --- Sold as true Basa in many places at Basa Prices ---

Channel Catfish fried properly will not be wet nor mushy. It will be moist and flaky.

Bon Appetit!!

...and if you look into tilapia, you may end up choosing something else...:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom