Full Lead Crystal Decanter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackeeg

Cook
I bought a full lead crystal liquor decanter, is it safe to drink out of or am I going to make the gift receiver sick because of the lead?

as far as i know, lead in crystal takes a long time to leach into most liquids (non-acids), so a drinking container is ok, so long as you are not storing the drink in it. supposedly, lead decanters in which things like scotch are stored are no good because of the lead.

Last edited:
"People who have lead crystal items should take the following precautions:
  • Do not store liquids in lead crystal glasses or bottles
  • Do not drink from lead crystal on a daily basis, especially if you are pregnant
  • Do not feed an infant or child from a lead crystal baby bottle or cup "
http://www.nsc.org/issues/lead/leadindishes.htm

The Center for Disease Control also considers liquids stored in lead crystal to be hazardous.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:8jhCym44X2kJ:www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/426.html+%22lead+crystal%22+safety&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=8

Last edited:
I have two Full Lead Crystal Decanters - one I use for liquor and one I display on a shelf.

You will not get sick from the lead - wash it carefully by hand and then put the liquor inside.

I want to put rum in it. You would think stores could not sell it if it would make you sick.

shpj4 said:
I have two Full Lead Crystal Decanters - one I use for liquor and one I display on a shelf.

You will not get sick from the lead - wash it carefully by hand and then put the liquor inside.

It is ok to serve from but it is not recommended for long

term storage. In my house a bottle of scotch or rye will last for years. And I
do mean years. I leave it in the bottle and not a decanter.

I have various drinks (whisky, rum, brandy) in quite old, lead crystal decanters (one is about 120 years old!) - I am sad to say that the alcohol in all of them doesn't last long, so no harm is done!:)

My mother and my grandmother both used to keep their afternoon sherry in lead crystal decanters.

Thanks, thats good to know:) his will only last a month or two till he has to refill also:)

Ishbel said:
I have various drinks (whisky, rum, brandy) in quite old, lead crystal decanters (one is about 120 years old!) - I am sad to say that the alcohol in all of them doesn't last long, so no harm is done!:)

I don't think you really have much to worry about. besides, if it sits around long enough for things to of a lead based origin to occur, re-sell as another 100year old aged liquor.

Alcohol will dissolve the lead in the crystal if left in the decanter for more than a few hours, and in time the lead can cause brain damage. Buy a good Riedel decanter and leave the lead crystal on the display shelf.

*lol* what a funny thought.... never cared about that...
My Mum also has various lead crystal containers, she likes them a lot...
It is very popular with the elder people here in G, but I've never heard of anybody getting a lead intoxication....

While Europeans might consider is an over reaction, I would rather not take chances with my health, especially with something as toxic as lead.

Here is a letter from Harvard Health Letter. It basically says that it can be safe to use these decanters, but it does depend on how long the alcohol is in them.

I am sticking with the better safe than sorry route myself.

Lead crystal decanters have been fashionable in most European nations for 300 years and more....

I have read of no massive numbers dropping dead because of lead poisoning due to lead poisoning! I am sensible about storing anything long term - particularly alcohol which goes 'off' quite quickly... so the chances of my dying of lead poisoning via a nip of whisky from one of my decanters is probably minimal.:)

You are making the assumption that the only symptm of lead poisoning is death. That is not the case. There are many things that lead can cause and it would be very easy for someone to overlook the cause.

Among these are developmental disorders, sterility, abortion, diarrhea, sluggishness, Reduced IQ, Slowed body growth, Hearing problems, Behavior or attention problems, Kidney damage, Irritability, Aggressive behavior, Difficulty sleeping, Headaches, Constipation and that is just to name a few.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom