Gross me out!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanna be

Senior Cook
I recently went to a pot luck dinner and was litterlay made sick by the lack of personal control and disregard for others safety, and rite to have a meal that has not been sucked on to some degree.Yes I am talking about finger licking.I was horrified after enjoying some very good asain chicken legs. When the lady lady that made them went to the table to combine what was left of the two trays into one.It was a total suck fest! No utensils no napkins just disgusting.I also noticed alot of finger sucking going on everywhere in the dineing room. What is going on?Everybody must surely know by now that our mouths are filthy.If you must lick the cake frosting off of your fingers and then dig in the chip bag, please do us all a favor and take the whole bag.We are animals ,but we dont have to act like one.

I recently went to a pot luck dinner and was litterlay made sick by the lack of personal control and disregard for others safety, and rite to have a meal that has not been sucked on to some degree.Yes I am talking about finger licking.I was horrified after enjoying some very good asain chicken legs. When the lady lady that made them went to the table to combine what was left of the two trays into one.It was a total suck fest! No utensils no napkins just disgusting.I also noticed alot of finger sucking going on everywhere in the dineing room. What is going on?Everybody must surely know by now that our mouths are filthy.If you must lick the cake frosting off of your fingers and then dig in the chip bag, please do us all a favor and take the whole bag.We are animals ,but we dont have to act like one.

I hope you never have to see what really goes in in the kitchen of a high-end restaurant. : )

food safety laws dictate use of gloves when using hands on food that will not be cooked. Kitchens have baskets of tasting spoons so a spoon is used once! Culinary education begins with safety and sanitation. Chefs of high end restaurants care about their reputations. Cooks at most burger joints care about their reputations too!

Keep your eyes open and if you don't like something you see say something and if you don't see it corrected don't go back.

food safety laws dictate use of gloves when using hands on food that will not be cooked. Kitchens have baskets of tasting spoons so a spoon is used once! Culinary education begins with safety and sanitation. Chefs of high end restaurants care about their reputations. Cooks at most burger joints care about their reputations too!

Keep your eyes open and if you don't like something you see say something and if you don't see it corrected don't go back.

I work in a deli, and we take safety and sanitation VERY seriously. This has been the case in every food service establishment that I have worked in.

Here in NC the use of gloves is not required when handling ready to eat food, it should be, but isn't. My company does require it though.

if they lick their fingers and what not then what are they doing while preparing the potluck dish that they brought.

I went to a potluck once and never will again after I witness a couple tasteing everything before they put it on their plate, using the same fork of course, i was glad i already went thru the line ahead of them. some one did speak up and told them no no. but that ended it for me

When my daughter was little i use to make elaborate cupcakes and cookies for her turn at treats or birthday in school . now schools state it can only be store brought in a seal package no home made items at all.

I have always taken food sanitation very seriously. My mom has worked the restaurant industry for many years and has ingrained in me the importance of proper food handling. But unfortunately some others do not see it as important. :( On the other hand, I have been to many potluck dinners and have never gotten sick from anything I ate. So, I think it is just a personal decision that has to be made about whether or not you feel comfortable eating food other people have prepared. I love potlucks and don't see myself stopping going to them any time soon.

Buffets are just as bad sanitation wise...no matter how strictly you monitor them

I work in a deli, and we take safety and sanitation VERY seriously. This has been the case in every food service establishment that I have worked in.

Here in NC the use of gloves is not required when handling ready to eat food, it should be, but isn't. My company does require it though.

theres a local deli i used to get bagels from ...

they wear gloves , take the money , make the food, take the money ... same gloves.... i guess their protecting themselves at least :bash:

Yuck! that's terrible. My worst experience was travel oversea while eating out in one of the restaurant. Really, until now, I don't even want to talk about it:(

I've never worked in a kitchen that mandated the use of gloves. Even the garde manger guys, who's ingredients were mostly served raw, and handled heavily didn't wear them. Never really understood why. No one would consider working in a kitchen without a hat (even those of us lacking in the follicle department). It did turn me into an obsessive hand washer though. The sheer number of ingredients with the potential for cross contamination that a line cook works with on a daily basis is staggering.

The worst sanitation faux pas that I ever encountered was at a well known restaurant in Washington DC, still in business, that I'll spare and leave nameless. They made a new pot of chili on a daily basis, and added the leftovers of the pot from the day before....on a daily basis. There may well have been chili scraps that were older than me in that pot!

The same place was a union shop, and had some rules that were really contrary to good sanitation. In particular, you weren't allowed to clean your own station. You had to call someone over to do it, who's job description included cleaning. The only thing we were allowed to clean ourselves were our personal tools.

My (pet) peeve in the area of sanitation is household cats on prep and dining surfaces. I have friends who shoo their cats off the counters and then use that counter to prepare food. The cat feet have been in litter boxes, cat mouths and on floors. I don't care how cute they are - this still grosses me waaay out.

We have a friend whose cat jumps up on the counter too Janet, and they let her lick the butter right off the butter dish. OK maybe saying they "let" her do it is a bit strong, but they certainly do not react the way I would if I caught me cat doing that. the first thing I would do is toss the butter. I wish they did too :sick:

My (pet) peeve in the area of sanitation is household cats on prep and dining surfaces. I have friends who shoo their cats off the counters and then use that counter to prepare food. The cat feet have been in litter boxes, cat mouths and on floors. I don't care how cute they are - this still grosses me waaay out.
I think you're my sister! And I'm an only child!:LOL: But my dear SIL does let her cats roam on the table and the skinny one even has a water glass in the sink for kitty to drink from. They have a heated box on top of the table too. I complained about this enough to her so that she sanitizes the table before we sit down to eat at her table. Hmmm, maybe this is why we've gotten fewer dinner invites.:ermm:

We have a friend whose cat jumps up on the counter too Janet, and they let her lick the butter right off the butter dish. OK maybe saying they "let" her do it is a bit strong, but they certainly do not react the way I would if I caught me cat doing that. the first thing I would do is toss the butter. I wish they did too :sick:

Our house would send you running for the hills. No cats, but it isn't uncommon to see one of us holding our dinner plates down for the dogs to clean up any sauce or leftovers that may be left at the end of the meal...at least they eat after us, not the other way around! :pig:

...it isn't uncommon to see one of us holding our dinner plates down for the dogs to clean up any sauce or leftovers that may be left at the end of the meal...at least they eat after us, not the other way around! :pig:

True story: Some elderly relatives have miniature dachshunds. They adore these dogs and set their mostly empty plates on the floor sometimes for dog cleanup. They are very clean folks but recently with failing eyesight have begun to have trouble distinguishing the dog-cleaned dishes that have been picked up and placed beside the sink for washing for people-cleaned dishes that are ready to put away. :ohmy: More than once I've pulled a plate down from the cabinet that has suspicious tongue sized smudges on it. Again... gross me out.

Now shall we discuss drinking from the container :LOL:

Last edited:
Just like with children, it takes no effort to raise a savage, but it does take attention and willingness to raise a child, or a pet, to have manners.

My cat knows that if I caught him on a kitchen counter, I'd beat him within an inch of his life! So, he stays off of the counters and I love spoiling him rotten.

My dog (1 yr. old puppy) gets select table scraps... in HIS dish at HIS dinner time. He knows better than to bother me or any company while we're seated at the dinner table. It's only taken a little correction and cooperation from my guests for him to get the idea that "the adults" are to be left alone while eating.

Of course, the owner has to WANT a well behaved pet.

I've never worked in a kitchen that mandated the use of gloves. Even the garde manger guys, who's ingredients were mostly served raw, and handled heavily didn't wear them. Never really understood why. No one would consider working in a kitchen without a hat (even those of us lacking in the follicle department). It did turn me into an obsessive hand washer though. The sheer number of ingredients with the potential for cross contamination that a line cook works with on a daily basis is staggering.

The worst sanitation faux pas that I ever encountered was at a well known restaurant in Washington DC, still in business, that I'll spare and leave nameless. They made a new pot of chili on a daily basis, and added the leftovers of the pot from the day before....on a daily basis. There may well have been chili scraps that were older than me in that pot!

The same place was a union shop, and had some rules that were really contrary to good sanitation. In particular, you weren't allowed to clean your own station. You had to call someone over to do it, who's job description included cleaning. The only thing we were allowed to clean ourselves were our personal tools.

i worked in a hewlett packard employee cafe. the lettuce was bleached always thought as you do. they bleached fries as well. the clam chowder was handled the way you described. the sauce was rinsed off and potatoes used over and over. also served rainbow lunch meat. i never ate anything but cheese burgers. lol

Back
Top Bottom