HELP! I Left Cooked Sausages Out On The Counter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most people associate food poisoning with something they ate either earlier in the day or the day before. But a lot of pathogens don't cause symptoms for a week to 10 days, or even more, so they get attributed to something else. Or people say they have the "stomach flu." There's no such thing, since the flu is a respiratory infection.

Yes, influenza is respiratory, but there is also gastroenteritis.

I've never heard anyone call it stomach flu, but rather a stomach bug. Maybe that's a regional thing.

I remember when my son got Rotavirus when he was small.

Omg, the smell could melt your eyeballs.

Most people associate food poisoning with something they ate either earlier in the day or the day before. But a lot of pathogens don't cause symptoms for a week to 10 days, or even more, so they get attributed to something else. Or people say they have the "stomach flu." There's no such thing, since the flu is a respiratory infection.

Actually with poisoning you get sick very soon after eating something bad. Got mine from potatoes at a restaurant

I think the point was that ypu can feel the effects of food poisoning both right away, and also days after eating something bad.

For those people, it would be more wise to err on the side of caution and chuck it.

However, much of the world isn't that sensitive.

chuckle.png

BAHAHAHA!
Alright now boys ;):LOL::ROFLMAO: now that's quite enough of that tom-foolery :whistling:w00t2::smartass:

This morning I made us Trader Joe's Garlic and Herb Chicken Sausages for breakfast.
We finished eating about 10-1030am and I started to clean up the dishes, but got waylaid and forgot all about them. :censored:

I discovered them at about 3pm, under the lid in the frypan, still atop the stovetop.
We've been keeping the house fairly cool, I mean not cranking up the heat that is, its about 68⁰F in here all of the time. When I went to put them into a container (cursing under my breath all the time), they felt very cool to the touch (I forgot to maybe take their temp, dang it).

So, my question to the group is, should I throw them out or do y'all think they're okay to eat?

*Note:I thought about feeding them ONLY to DH to see what kind of reaction we get, but... that's not nice now is it? :devilish::whistling:mrgreen:

Chiming in late here, but I would have not thought twice about refrigerating them when you found them 4-5 hours later, to reheat and eat the next morning. They were cooked chicken sausages, it's not like they sat out for a whole day - and being sausages, they are most likely packed with preservatives.

(.....another one here who took lunch to school as a child....(often tuna sandwiches...) that sat in our lunchboxes unrefrigerated until lunchtime, and we didn't die...)

It depends upon what it is and as also mentioned, how sensitive a tummy you have. BTW kgirl....what did you decide to do with them? ;):LOL:

At the very least, give them to a dog. They lick their butts and drink from puddles. A cooked chicken sausage that sat at room temperature for a few hours isn't going to bother them. It doesn't go to waste, and a dog gets to eat people food, the holy grail for dogs.

I don't feed my dog a lot of people food, but if it comes down to throwing meat trimmings in the trash, or letting my dog have them, I give them to him. Fatty pieces of raw beef are on par with what a perfectly cooked prime steak is to me.

CD

... snipped .... BTW kgirl....what did you decide to do with them? ;):LOL:

Well, thanks to all for your responses, and Cheryl, I'm not sure yet to be perfectly frank, or is it sausage?:LOL:

I'd love to hear more, this has been an interesting discussion, to say the very least, and I'd like to keep it hangin' around a bit longer...

OH MY GOSH!! :)
I'm kinda thinkin' of chopping the leftover sausages up and take it across the street to our neighbors puppy, who wound up getting my Thanksgiving Turkey gibets, he'd like that. But if he gets the tijuana two step (or is it four steps), his Mom may not speak to me again :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Don't forget coprophagia. My neighbor's dog is nicknamed "Sh!t-lips", for obvious reasons.

Psycho-poodle likes rabbit pellets. When I had a lake house with deer all over the place, we had to stop the dogs from eating deer poo. If they wanted to lick my face later, I'd have to push them away. Hey, I know where that mouth has been.

CD

OH MY GOSH!! :)
I'm kinda thinkin' of chopping the leftover sausages up and take it across the street to our neighbors puppy, who wound up getting my Thanksgiving Turkey gibets, he'd like that. But if he gets the tijuana two step (or is it four steps), his Mom may not speak to me again :ROFLMAO:

Nuke it to death, and let it cool down. Don't give the pup a whole pound of it, just a nice quarter-pound treat. Give the rest to the neighbor to give to the dog later.

CD

Well, thanks to all for your responses, and Cheryl, I'm not sure yet to be perfectly frank, or is it sausage?:LOL:

I'd love to hear more, this has been an interesting discussion, to say the very least, and I'd like to keep it hangin' around a bit longer...

We can do that, although it may go just about anywhere. Be careful what you wish for. :LOL:

CD

Actually with poisoning you get sick very soon after eating something bad. Got mine from potatoes at a restaurant
It depends on the bacteria or virus that caused the problem, as well as how much exposure a person had and whether they have particular risk factors, like being very young, elderly, or having a compromised immune system due to illness or medication. One's personal experience doesn't usually represent the range of experiences that are possible.

This page has a chart of the typical time frame from exposure to onset of illness.

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm103263.htm

Back
Top Bottom