HELP! I Left Cooked Sausages Out On The Counter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would eat it. I would not let Shrek eat it, he's just done with Chemo and has a wrecked immune system.

OH MY GOSH!! :)
I'm kinda thinkin' of chopping the leftover sausages up and take it across the street to our neighbors puppy, who wound up getting my Thanksgiving Turkey gibets, he'd like that. But if he gets the tijuana two step (or is it four steps), his Mom may not speak to me again :ROFLMAO:

Never give food you wouldn't eat to a dog.

I learned the hard way. It can make them very sick, too. Cleaning up projectile diarheah (sp) and a $$ vet bill ensued.

It depends on the bacteria or virus that caused the problem, as well as how much exposure a person had and whether they have particular risk factors, like being very young, elderly, or having a compromised immune system due to illness or medication. One's personal experience doesn't usually represent the range of experiences that are possible.

This page has a chart of the typical time frame from exposure to onset of illness.

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm103263.htm

That was a most interesting chart GG, and thanks for posting it. I hope everyone takes time to read all of it. I was hospitalized and at death's door after drinking unpasteurized milk in Mexico many years ago.

This really caught my eye...
Clostridium
botulinum
Botulism12-72 hoursVomiting, diarrhea, blurred vision, double vision, difficulty in swallowing, muscle weakness. Can result in respiratory failure and deathVariableImproperly canned foods, especially home-canned vegetables, fermented fish, baked potatoes in aluminum foil

Here's more on the baked potato in foil..
https://www.statefoodsafety.com/Res...ources/article/is-my-baked-potato-safe-to-eat

Last edited:
Never give food you wouldn't eat to a dog.

I learned the hard way. It can make them very sick, too. Cleaning up projectile diarheah (sp) and a $$ vet bill ensued.

I knew someone would say that. I guess I should say that you need to know your dog. Psycho poodle has a cast-iron stomach -- he can eat anything and stay as regular as a Swiss watch.

I also said I would nuke the meat first, and let it cool down. That would kill any bacteria, but also render the sausage tough and unappealing to humans. But, dogs have low standards for people food. My dog will scarf down foods that I wouldn't eat.

My main point is, don't automatically throw food you are not going to eat in the trash, when your dog would see that same food as a treat -- a welcome break from his daily kibble.

CD

Sausage Out Come

Okay, so here's the results (so far).
Earlier in the week, I reheated said Sausage to
an internal temperature of 165 degrees,
and served it to DH for breakfast.
Well, the test past with flying colors! ;)
Here we are days later, and he's had no ill-effects.

IMG_3599.jpg

Sunday Brunch for both of us.
And you guys were right.
I thought that the re-heated Sausage was rubbery,
but DH just chowed it down, "That was good!"
:LOL:

When we were kids we got lunches in a lunch box or brown paper bag and they sat around in the heat until lunch time and we were fine.

Yeah! I can't tell you how many baloney with mayo sandwiches I took to school in the morning and didn't get to eat them until 12:30 lunchtime. And those sandwiches never made me sick. No one in class got sick. In grade school, there was no cafeteria. We ate at our desks. And we all brought our lunch in those brown paper sacks.

Enjoy those sausages.

What is often overlooked is that food MUST be contaminated with pathogenic organisms to even have a chance of causing illness. Properly cooked foods are going to be free of these organisms, except in the cases involving resistant spore formers like Clostridium. Those types of illnesses almost always are associated with things that grow in the soil.
Once food is cooked, it would have to be contaminated by the cook or someone else in order to have active bacteria that could cause food poisoning. Then it would depend on the dose, time, temp and so on. So if your food is properly cooked and no one in your family is sick or has open cuts, you are not likely to contaminate your leftovers with pathogenic bacteria and sitting out a while should not cause illness. As others have pointed out, there is a long history of taking food to school or work and leaving locker or desk and not getting sick.

Okay, so here's the results (so far).
Earlier in the week, I reheated said Sausage to
an internal temperature of 165 degrees,
and served it to DH for breakfast.
Well, the test past with flying colors! ;)
Here we are days later, and he's had no ill-effects.

View attachment 29003

Sunday Brunch for both of us.
And you guys were right.
I thought that the re-heated Sausage was rubbery,
but DH just chowed it down, "That was good!"
:LOL:

What is often overlooked is that food MUST be contaminated with pathogenic organisms to even have a chance of causing illness. Properly cooked foods are going to be free of these organisms, except in the cases involving resistant spore formers like Clostridium. Those types of illnesses almost always are associated with things that grow in the soil.
Once food is cooked, it would have to be contaminated by the cook or someone else in order to have active bacteria that could cause food poisoning. Then it would depend on the dose, time, temp and so on. So if your food is properly cooked and no one in your family is sick or has open cuts, you are not likely to contaminate your leftovers with pathogenic bacteria and sitting out a while should not cause illness. As others have pointed out, there is a long history of taking food to school or work and leaving locker or desk and not getting sick.

Well, we ate said sausages back on Jan28th and that's what? Nine days ago and neither of us has had any ill effects, so, pheww! Dodged that bullet!

And Casey, yes, sometimes DH does have a wet nose. :LOL: He and our GSD ate the same foods and loved them.
vito.jpg

vito puppy.jpg

Last edited:
I continue to believe that food poisoning in the home is rare and usually caused by food that was contaminated before it was brought home. Most of those cases involve foods that are not cooked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom