Help on how to clean the ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicacarr

Senior Cook
top part of my oven. I moved into a new apartment, and the top part of the oven was overlooked and not cleaned. This is an electric oven, not gas, so the coil at the top blocks any kind of ez access to scrub above it...which is black from all the gunk. Will not use it like this and must clean it. How to get past the coil?

Thanks for your help :)

Assuming the oven doesn't have a self-clean function, I'd say turn on the broiler and run it full blast.

top part of my oven. I moved into a new apartment, and the top part of the oven was overlooked and not cleaned. This is an electric oven, not gas, so the coil at the top blocks any kind of ez access to scrub above it...which is black from all the gunk. Will not use it like this and must clean it. How to get past the coil?

Thanks for your help :)

I am unsure of other stoves, but the coil at the top should usually be hinged on a flange, so lifted.

I find a Scotchbrite pad, wetted then dipped in something vaguely resembling Vim, will remove most gunk. Or, what about the time honoured Brillo pad?

Most coils are modular, for replacement purposes. You should be able to uncouple it.
The aluminum collection pan should be removable as well.

If not any of the above, forget it or cover the coils with aluminum foil hit it with EZ OFF Spray.

Line the bottom collection pan with aluminum foil afterwards, regardless of how you clean it.

Last edited:
hmmm, don't know if I posted properly...
anyway, what I said was:
If this is a rental apt. get the super to come in and get it clean, or to have it replaced for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom