Is it safe to cook chicken in a pressure cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BJplusMilo21

Assistant Cook
I just cooked 4 fresh breasts chicken in a pressure cooker cooker with a bit a browning (middle was pink), is that safe (cooked for 15 minutes)?

This was high (15)

So which is it? In your first post you said pink in the middle, now you claim it is white throughout? The smart thing to do would is buy an instant read thermometer and not ask people to guess for you.:rolleyes:

Yes, it is safe to cook chicken in a pressure cooker, as long as you follow the directions and correct length if time.

I've cooked chicken in the pressure cooker. A whole one. Fall off the bone done and very juicy.
I am answering your subject line and not whether or not your pink/white chicken was safe.

Cobnsidering that I can successfully cook beef stew meat, with a pot full of veggies, in a pressure cooker, at 10 lbs. pressure, for 15 minutes, adn get meat doneness and testure as if it had been stewed (braised) for three hours, I would say that your chicken, if cooked at pressure for 15 minutes, was definitely done.

But, as was stated above, follow your PC directions, and time recommendations. Your PC will give you fall-off-the bone chicken ribs, short ribs, etc. If used right, it's one of the most valuable cooking vessels in your kitchen. I wouldn't try to make a stir-fry with it though.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

But, as was stated above, follow your PC directions, and time recommendations. Your PC will give you fall-off-the bone chicken ribs, short ribs, etc. If used right, it's one of the most valuable cooking vessels in your kitchen. I wouldn't try to make a stir-fry with it though.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It gave me the cooking time for chicken breasts as 6 minutes. However when I look at the recipes at the back, it tells me that I should brown the all the chicken in the pan for about 5 minutes each, I only did two minutes.

Just out of curiosity why would you not make stir fry in a pressure cooker? funny enough I was going to cook that tomorrow.

Last edited:
It gave me the cooking time for chicken breasts as 6 minutes. However when I look at the recipes at the back, it tells me that I should brown the all the chicken in the pan for about 5 minutes each, I only did two minutes.

Just out of curiosity why would you not make stir fry in a pressure cooker? funny enough I was going to cook that tomorrow.

Part of a stir-friy's apeal lies in the texture of the food. Meat is cut into small cubes to cook quickly, as are the various veggies used. A small amount of high temperature oil, and a very hot wok, or heavy fry pan is used. The ingredients are placed in the pan, and stirred around until they are just cooked. Veggies should be slightly crunchy, and the meat should be done through, but only lightly browned.

This results in a tender, and juicy meat, surrounded by lighlty crisp veggies, and whatever flavorings that have been added, i.e. soy sauce, ginger, 5- spice, garlic, etc.

The pressure cooker will turn overcook the veggies. They will still taste ok, the the wonderful texture of a proper stir fry will be lost.

As far browning your chicken before cooking under pressure, this partially cooks the meat, but more importantly, it browns the meat surface, giving it a better flavor. If you brought it up to pressure, and cooked it for 15 minutes, then your chicken was definitely cooked through, especially if the recommended cooking time was 6 minutes. You almost tripled the recommended cooking time.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Just because you could cook something in a PC doesn't men you should. Most of the work and time in doing a stir fry is in the preparation of the ingredients. Lots of chopping, slicing marinating. The cooking is very quick over high heat. I think a PC would actually take longer than a wok for a stir fry. By the time you got it up to pressure, cooked it and depressurized it, the meal cooked in the wok would be done.

Every time I see the title of this thread I am reminded of a story. A friend of mine cooked a whole chicken in a pressure cooker. They left it on too long. The pressure built up to the point that the safety valve flew off. The entire chicken, bones and all, flew out through that little hole and embedded itself in the ceiling. :LOL:

As far as the preliminary browning of the chicken is concerned, you are doing it for flavour not to cook it so just do it as it needs then proceed with the rest of the recipe.

As for stir fry in a p/cooker. The pan base is very deep so wouldn't be very conducive to stir frying (too much steam around the food) even with the lid off and when the lid is on the contents would steam rather than fry.

Back
Top Bottom