Is my pork butt ok??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coppermouse

Assistant Cook
Last night I took a 12 # pork butt out of the deep freeze. It was frozen solid. I accidentally forgot it on the kitchen table for about 11 hours at room temp. I came home and put it in the fridge. It was cold to the touch ca 50-60 degrees.
Is it still ok to use?
I am planning to slow cook it all day long on the grill on low heat

Last edited:
Nope...and what a shame too. 50-60 is not cold to the touch. 30- 40 is. If it was 40 degrees I'd tell you that you got lucky, dodged a pork bullet and to get it into the fridge immediately. But, 50-60 is too warm. My best guess is that it had been over 40 degrees for more than 2 hours, which is all the window of opportunity you have.

Ok thanks for the super quick reply. I am not going to risk 15 quests getting sick for a few bucks

Do these jeans make my pork butt look fat?

In all honesty, if it were me, I would cook it and eat it. But when someone else asks me, I say what Vera said, when in doubt throw it out!
Tragic as the waste is, better safe than sorry in the end. But I also know in that case I wouldn't slow cook it either because that would probably make it even worse or more risky.
Just out of curiosity, did you take its temp with a meat thermometer or just guess at its current temp before putting it back in the fridge?

I tried to take the temp with one of those Radio Shack digital themomters for measuring room temp with an external probe. The probe was changing, and I think it stabilized, but the batteries died. The last reading was 60 but it felt colder, but I don't trust my fingers to be accurate.

Maybe I will cook it well and feed it to the hounds, I know they have eaten much worse out in the woods

I woould eat it but I would not serve it. When in doubt throw it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom