Olive oil on Bamboo Cutting Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ritalopez

Assistant Cook
Hi all!
I just got a new bamboo cutting board and the instructions tell me to use a mineral oil. I've never heard of this oil and I am highly suspicious that this is another one of those unnecessary products that we are told to buy.
Is it ok to just use olive oil? I plan to use these boards daily. I just don't want to buy something I really don't need. Why is it that these days the responses for everything seem to be "just buy ____"?
Thanks!

Hi all!
I just got a new bamboo cutting board and the instructions tell me to use a mineral oil. I've never heard of this oil and I am highly suspicious that this is another one of those unnecessary products that we are told to buy.
Is it ok to just use olive oil? I plan to use these boards daily. I just don't want to buy something I really don't need. Why is it that these days the responses for everything seem to be "just buy ____"?
Thanks!

No use food grade mineral oil. You buy it at the drug store; its cheap. You'll need to re-oil it from time to time so it's not unecessary.

Oilve oil will leave a sticky film.

Also, olive oil will eventually turn rancid.

Mineral oil, found in pharmacies, is a general purpose oil that can also be used as a laxative, general lubricant (door hinges, etc.), and wood moisture barrier/sealer. It generally runs about $2.00 a bottle - not exactly a pocket book buster. :cool:

By the way - Welcome to DC!! :chef:

Last edited:
What about walnut oil? I heard some people use it too.
Oh, i just used the board and i gently rinsed with soap and water after using and tiny fibers of bamboo seem to be peeling off. Is this normal?
Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I've had my bamboo cutting boards for over a year now and have never had any shredding or bits come off. They weren't expensive either.

Like Dave said food based oils will eventually go rancid.

You can buy food-grade mineral oil at any drugstore and in most supermarkets. It's the best oil for wood or bamboo (which is actually a giant form of grass, technically not wood) cutting boards. As others have said, olive oil and other cooking oils will spoil if applied to the board, but mineral oil will not.

We always used mineral oil on cutting boards and butcher-block cabinets. It is completely edible, as noted, used as a laxitive and bought in the drug store. The main thing is unlike other oils it isn't as likely to turn rancid.

Don't wash an unsealed board. But I guess you did...

Just buy a bottle of mineral oil. Make sure you wipe off the excess, since it's a laxative.

Don't use vegetable based or animal based oils since the go rancid and put a sticky film on your board

If it is getting splintery, try sanding it a little, and then put your oil on.

I have a bamboo board that I use regularly, and I never oil it. I don't oil my wood boards, either.

Guess I will have to turn in my cooking license.

I didn't even know you were supposed to oil wood/bamboo cutting boards! Just bought two of them, which is why this thread caught my interest. And little bits are flaking off mine, too. Going to sand, then oil and see if that fixes it

I use mineral oil for mine, but I don't have a schedule. Our big one gets used most so it gets oiled more often. I get an idea when washing them on when it gets to be time and normally do it before bed so it sits overnight with the oil soaking.

I recently did the wood counter in the kitchen. I started that earlier and had to keep adding oil as it would just soak in, you could almost watch it. That hadn't been done in years.

I didn't even know you were supposed to oil wood/bamboo cutting boards! Just bought two of them, which is why this thread caught my interest. And little bits are flaking off mine, too. Going to sand, then oil and see if that fixes it

it should. the oil keeps the wood from drying out..once it dries out it will start to splinter. plus if it gets wet while it's dry like that, you really up your chances of your board turning into a twisted bunch of something or other.
i didnt oil my very first board. with in two months it had split in multiple spots and was over all just impossible to cut on.

garlicjosh said:
it should. the oil keeps the wood from drying out..once it dries out it will start to splinter. plus if it gets wet while it's dry like that, you really up your chances of your board turning into a twisted bunch of something or other.
i didnt oil my very first board. with in two months it had split in multiple spots and was over all just impossible to cut on.

Well then I am glad I stumbled upon this thread!!! I love DC :)

wow i never knew any of this. None of my boards have splintered or cracked, but I guess since this is the rule, i'm going out to get some mineral oil!

Both of my wooden boards are 20 years old, and I have had no splitting. I am sure they would look nicer if I sanded and oiled them--so I will get right on that.

Right after I plant the garden, wash the windows, paint the baseboards . . . . .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom