Oven mitts versus towels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use pot holders.... mitts seem to all be made for "righties" and I'm a "leftie"......

I have one with a shiny silvery side, that one, if one assumes that is the palm side, would be more for a righty. My other glove is definitely ambidextrous.

Last edited:
I've typically used potholders all my life, but as the arthritis gets worse in my hands my grip is not as good as it once was. I worry about dropping things using the potholders. I can't use heavy mits, but I'm intrigued by the posts mentioning silicone mitts. This might be a good solution for me. Are these sold in stores like Walmart or specialty places?

I buy, and use pot holders by the dozen! Mitts are for Catchers and First basemen. :ermm: Towels are for drying your hands, and your body after a hot shower....and maybe a few other uses. A wash rag has hundreds of uses. :LOL:

I learned to cook using pot holders, but bought oven mitts when I started using a range. Growing up I used a wall oven, but found that when I started using a range, which I wasn't used to, I would burn the tops of my arms! That's when I bought oven mitts. I have both now, and since I am used to using a range, I use a pot holder most often, I don't even think of why I use it first.

I've typically used potholders all my life, but as the arthritis gets worse in my hands my grip is not as good as it once was. I worry about dropping things using the potholders. I can't use heavy mits, but I'm intrigued by the posts mentioning silicone mitts. This might be a good solution for me. Are these sold in stores like Walmart or specialty places?

I use silicone pot holders, and I like them. But people who help in my kitchen often hate them. The complaint is that they are not flexible enough, and if they get wet, they're slippery.

For flexibility and protection, you may want to look for the Ove-Glove. They are a little pricey, but people I know who have them, love them! I've seen them in the kitchen stores at the outlet mall, and I'm sure you can find them online.

I use silicone pot holders, and towels. I like the potholders, but when they get hot, they get HOT, and I really don't think I would like to have my hands inside a silicone glove when that happened.

I buy white cloth napkins from Sam's club for dishtowels--I use them for napkins til they get too stained, then they are demoted to dishtowels. I have gotten some cute dishtowels from the dollar store, and they go thru the same progression. (No paper napkins and very few paper towels at my house.)

I use silicone pot holders, and I like them. But people who help in my kitchen often hate them. The complaint is that they are not flexible enough, and if they get wet, they're slippery.

For flexibility and protection, you may want to look for the Ove-Glove. They are a little pricey, but people I know who have them, love them! I've seen them in the kitchen stores at the outlet mall, and I'm sure you can find them online.

Thanks Silversage - I will check that out.

I use pot holders.... mitts seem to all be made for "righties" and I'm a "leftie"......

That's why I only buy pairs, I'm a leftie, too.

Pot holders for top of stove and microwave. Mitts or bakers mitts for the oven.

I burned the skin off the top of my hands on the inside edge of a commercial bakery oven once...just once!

Oh, yeah! I have a pair of the Ove-gloves, they are perfect for righties or lefties and good for rearranging the oven if need be, I havn't found them to get too hot with extended use.

Last edited:
I use silicone pot holders, and towels. I like the potholders, but when they get hot, they get HOT, and I really don't think I would like to have my hands inside a silicone glove when that happened.

I buy white cloth napkins from Sam's club for dishtowels--I use them for napkins til they get too stained, then they are demoted to dishtowels. I have gotten some cute dishtowels from the dollar store, and they go thru the same progression. (No paper napkins and very few paper towels at my house.)

I find the same with the silicone pot holder. I use it when it might get wet or greasy. They wash so easily and can be dried in seconds.

Same at my house, no paper napkins and very few paper towels. I bought a bunch of dish cloths at the dollar store and use those as napkins. They are much more absorbent than "real" napkins. ;)

It only takes "once" to burn yourself, be in pain and have it (or them) pus up, and need to be lanced - and then you want really heavy duty oven mitts.

I used to heat my home with a wood stove in the "good old days" and I had super great insulated leather gloves with long cuffs. They were very heat resistant and I never got burns except beyond the end of the gloves. So the burns just moved from the protected part of my hands and arms to the unprotected.

All that to say, use whatever you are most comfortable with, but no matter what you use, if you're careless you will get burned.

I did try them. They were a little pricey but I got them on sale and I have to say, the best money I've spent. They are "bulky" but I can still grab with my hands and bend my fingers around baking dishes, roasting pans, whatever. I am very glad I bought these. Thanks so much for this suggestion.

Pot holders here-- Mitts I feel I don't have a good hold when I have them on. I have used towels on occasion.
Has anyone purchased the Ove glove? Is so do they work? Doesn't seem to be heat proof enough for me.

Pot holders here-- Mitts I feel I don't have a good hold when I have them on. I have used towels on occasion.
Has anyone purchased the Ove glove? Is so do they work? Doesn't seem to be heat proof enough for me.

The Ove Gloves are great. But, I did find out there is a limit to the time you can hold onto something before your hands start getting hot. I didn't burn myself, though. I had hauled a pan out to the living room to show Shrek the lovely loaf of bread...3 minutes top before you start feeling the heat.

I haven't gotten them wet, yet, and checked on the heat transfer.

I did purchase the Ove Glove and I really like them. I have arthritis in my hands and trying to hold onto a hot pan with a pot holder is ify at best wit a weak grip. I can use all my fingers and manuver the pan much better. I don't hold on to things very long so heat transfer isn't a problem, from oven to counter, about 3 seconds, works for me. I feel more secure with heavier items like roasting pans too. They are a bit expensive, but if you get them on sale like I did, it's worth the money. I did get one thumb wet but didn't really notice any heat or burn my self. I'm very happy with the pair I have so far.

I did purchase the Ove Glove and I really like them. I have arthritis in my hands and trying to hold onto a hot pan with a pot holder is ify at best wit a weak grip. I can use all my fingers and manuver the pan much better. I don't hold on to things very long so heat transfer isn't a problem, from oven to counter, about 3 seconds, works for me. I feel more secure with heavier items like roasting pans too. They are a bit expensive, but if you get them on sale like I did, it's worth the money. I did get one thumb wet but didn't really notice any heat or burn my self. I'm very happy with the pair I have so far.

That is very nice to know. Thanks, Linda! I don't always notice where I toss them when I take them off and I've gotten burned from wet pot holders, towels and mitts before!

Thick double terry hot pads for me. I have two silicone pads that I don't like...I can feel the heat through them too fast. Mits are too bulky, for both my hands and the drawer. Someone mentioned hand crocheted pads......good for nothing but "cuteness".....those holes are not a good thing.:(

Thick double terry hot pads for me. I have two silicone pads that I don't like...I can feel the heat through them too fast. Mits are too bulky, for both my hands and the drawer. Someone mentioned hand crocheted pads......good for nothing but "cuteness".....those holes are not a good thing.:(

I used the crocheted pads as dishrags, they are great for that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom