Partially cooked chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Is it safe to partially cook chicken, or cook most of the way, shred, then add the rest of the ingredients to the same pot, along with the chicken pieces, and finish cooking everything together?

I'm trying to come up with a chicken dish in my pressure cooker using pasta and veggies and from what I've read, it should only take them 5 minutes to cook. I could leave the chicken pieces in for 30 minutes and know they are done, but I was thinking of pulling them out after 20 minutes so they finish cooking with the rest of the stuff. I'm hoping everything "blends together" better this way and doesn't taste like they were all cooked separately.

As a general proposition, it's notsafe to partially cook chicken. But that also depends on what you do with the partially cooked chicken. If you shred it and quickly get it back up to temp, it would probably be ok.

But, cooking chicken in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes is :shock: It will be disintegrated if you cook it for that long.

IMO chicken is such a fast cooking protein, there really isn't much logic in pressure cooking it. Just cook it all together. Start the chicken first then add the other ingredients later.

Sure! Why not? It's not like you're eating partially cooked chicken. I do essentially the same thing when I make a chicken and rice dish I've been making since about 1970 - the chicken gets par-boiled, skinned and shredded, and added to the rice before finishing the cooking. Of course ... to be safe - the chicken should come up to 160ºF to be safe.

So at 20 minutes it would probably be cooked all the way anyway? Is that what you're saying? Kind of?
I've cooked whole chickens at 30 minutes before and they've come out just the way I want them, "disintegrated" and ready for soup or stew.... So I guess I'll be safe at less time if I'm reading your answer correctly. They are just three thighs.

Ahh, Michael... thanks!
That's what I wanted to hear, as it looks like we're doing similar things different ways ;)

I've cooked a brisket to done in 30 min. in the PC.

3 thighs will be pretty well cooked in 20 minutes. They'll probably be cooked in 5.

Just make sure it doesn't linger between 40-140 for long, and make sure it's kept away from other foods till it's fully cooked (165).

Thanks. I'll cut the time down for the chicken and stick a thermometer in them just so I know for next time.

Is it safe to partially cook chicken... I'm trying to come up with a chicken dish in my pressure cooker using pasta and veggies and from what I've read, it should only take them 5 minutes to cook. I could leave the chicken pieces in for 30 minutes and know they are done...

If your pressure cooker operates at 15psi, then 5 minutes is correct for chicken cut into bite sized chunks or strips. I use about 3 cups of egg noodles... get an imported variety made with hard Durham wheat as it holds up well to pressure cooking. Add two cups of veggies du jour, seasonings, some type of flavoring liquid and enough water to barely cover the ingredients.

Lock the lid in place. Bring to 15psi over high heat, immediately reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting to stabilize and maintain that pressure. Cook 5 minutes. Use the natural release method.

The veggies will lose some quality with this timing, but if that's an issue, you can preserve the bright color and tender-crisp texture by protecting them within covered heat proof bowl that is placed on top of the other ingredients in the pressure cooker.

Overcooking is a very common mistake, but my Cooking Times Charts will help you avoid a lot of problems. For example, at 15psi, a whole chicken will cook in 20 minutes, and at 30 minutes you'll meat ready to be fork shredded.

chicken par cooked

i would say yes you can do it like that, ppl who work in banquets par cook all types of meats, put in a cooler, than when its time to plate up, throw meats back in oven and finish cooking. now if they can do it like that you should be just fine.

chris:ninja:

Thanks Chris.
I'm still here, so things must have worked out alright ;)

If you work fast, it will be fine. Don't let the chicken cool to room temperature. Wear food handlers gloves, double up on them so you don't burn your hands...and shred and then quickly return to the pot.

Back
Top Bottom