Peanut butter warning! (RE: FDA Recall ONLY!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corey123 said:
When I found that out, I tossed it in the trash.

If you live in an area where indigent and/or homeless people live, you might want to either flush the stuff down the potty, run it down the garbage disposal or find another "safe" way to get rid of it. Often these poor souls forage through trash looking for something to eat. I'd hate to be responsible for making them sick, too.

Not sure whether animals can contract salmonella but, animals could get into the trash, too.

Apparently, the problem is in the ConAgra processing plant in Sylvester, GA - where they make Peter Pan and WalMart's Great Value peanut butter, going back to the March 2006 production run which probably didn't hit the shelves until May 2006.

Forbe's had an article today here (don't know how long it will be available online). Here is the original FDA notice, and here is the FDA's update notice, and a Q&A page the FDA set up today - which also tells you how to get a refund. If it's any consolation - this is the first recorded case of a salmonella outbreak associated with peanut butter in U.S. history.

Before you spend hours and hours on hold trying to talk to someone from ConAgra about getting a refund ... try contacting your local grocery store. Here in TX - Albertson's, Tom Thumb and WalMart will give a refund even on opened and partially consumed jars (I think HEB is doing the same but I'm not sure) according to the news reports this morning ... Kroger (as of this morning) will only give a refund on unopened (safety seal still intact) jars.

Katie E: How right you are. I have received out dated food products from people who are moving. (very out dated food products....like 15-25 years old) Why didn't they just throw the stuff away? I really resent having to put it in a black garbage bag to get rid of it.

Thanks for the heads up on this problem.
I just searched through mt pantry and found two jars with the 2111 code on the lid. Bummer! Glad I haven't tried them yet:ohmy:
Guess I'll have to toss em though, the receipt is loooooong gone by now:mad:

An Update

I just got off the phone with my food guy at Walmart:

If you have a WalMart store nearby - they will refund for their Great Value and Peter Pan brands of PB, you don't need a receipt - some stores are requireing the "unused portion" of the jar and lid, some are accepting just the lid as "proof of purchase". If you return the unused portion of the jar to them it will solve the disposal question brought up by Katie.

Katie: WalMart is taking care to properly quarantine and dispose of the "suspect" PB so that it will not be available to indigent "dumpster divers" or animals.

Michael in FtW said:
If you return the unused portion of the jar to them it will solve the disposal question brought up by Katie.

Katie: WalMart is taking care to properly quarantine and dispose of the "suspect" PB so that it will not be available to indigent "dumpster divers" or animals.

Thank you, Michael. As you might understand, this could be a potential problem. Glad it's being addressed.

geri said:
spinach and now peanut butter
whats next?

Jelly.

Don't forget lettuce. That was the first thing suspected of having salmonilla.

I think that whoever is putting this crap out is just trying to scare people! How in the Sam Hill does salmonilla get into fruits and veggies?:ermm:

They're just not satisfied uness they're badmouthing certains foods to have consumers running scared!! It's so annoying and sickening at times!!:mad:

Thanks alot Mike!
Great and timely info as always:)
I'll have to call Mom, I think she also has two jars in her pantry.

FDA Peanut butter Update - 23-Feb-07

Here is the latest FDA Update on the peanut butter contamination issue that actually goes beyond the initial "statistical data survey" (what did you eat in the 72-hours before you got sick questions) that initiated the recall and now has some positive cultures for Salmonella Tennessee obtained from jars of PB people who bacame sick had consumed to support the epidemiological statistical model.

Corey ... I don't know how salmonella gets into fruits or nuts, or nut products, but it happens. There was a major recall of almonds from California back in 2004 (not only had they been shipped overseas to Mexico, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, France, England and Italy - about 50 companies had used them in their products) - and it wasn't a statistical thing, the nuts in the bags tested positive. And, even as recently as yesterday on the FDA website, Castle Produce Announced the Recall of Cantaloupe Melons due to Salmonella contamination. Is it a "perfect" system? No ... but it's sure better than nothing! And, it's gotten better over the past 50 years at quickly isolating the "probable" sources of contamination.

Sorry Clutch - words like "All Natural" or "Natural" or "Organic", or the stores that sell them, offer no immunity to possible food contamination. Some of the spinach and lettuce in the recent E. Coli outbreat were labeled (branded) that way (Natural or Organic) and sold at WF (Whole Foods) - which also recently (31 Jan 2007) recalled 6,000 jars of olive tapenade because some contained shards of glass, and on 16 Feb 2007 the FDA issued a notice not to use jars of Earth's Best "Organic 2 Apple Peach Barley Wholesome Breakfast Baby Food" because of contamination with Clostridium botulinum. Your "natural PB from WF" has just as much potential for contamination as "unnatural" PB sold somewhere else.

If anyone is interested in keeping up on the latest food safety news - you can check out the FDA website ... for the most significant product actions of the last 60 days, or a link to all FDA actions - check here on the Recalls, Withdrawals and Alerts page.

This is not a hoax nor a scare. The first of Feb. a friend/neighbor became very ill, had severe abdominal pain. She went to the emergency room and was admitted to the hospital. Upon discharge, she did not know what made her so sick. I left on a trip, and when I returned DH told me her illness had been traced to salmonella in peanut butter. This one hit pretty close to home! Pitch that peanut butter and do not worry about the few dollars you spent on it. You do not want to get sick!

I'm so upset about this. My toddler loves and misses peanut butter. Every time I go to the grocery store, it hurts not to buy it for him. I've seen some organic brands. Would these be safe for him?

Hi Dina

At this time , only Peter Pan and WalMart brand have been linked to the recent outbreak. Unless you hear otherwise, all other brands are safe to consume.

Thanks VeraBlue. I had a JIF jar a few weeks ago and my daughter threw it out. Rats! It was good peanut butter.:rolleyes:

Dina said:
Thanks VeraBlue. I had a JIF jar a few weeks ago and my daughter threw it out. Rats! It was good peanut butter.:rolleyes:

Dina, the only peanut butter you have to be concerned about are the containers that have the code #2111 on them, which include Wal-Mart's Great Value and Peter Pan. All others seem to be just fine.

I'm the original poster of this thread and news reports confirm.

Yes, I was aware of the recalled brands just that I'm still skeptical. I will get the organic brand or JIF again. Thank you.

Dina said:
I'm so upset about this. My toddler loves and misses peanut butter. Every time I go to the grocery store, it hurts not to buy it for him. I've seen some organic brands. Would these be safe for him?

He can HAVE peanut butter. Just don't get him Great Value or Peter Pan.

if some already ate a jar of peter pan with 2111 and nothing happens, then not all jar with that sereal number is affected with the virus?

fawn said:
if some already ate a jar of peter pan with 2111 and nothing happens, then not all jar with that sereal number is affected with the virus?

You don't want to take that chance, but then again, I'm so sick and tired of hearing the news media badmouth stuff that we've all been eating or drinking for so long!!:mad:

Now, all of a sudden, it's no good.

Back
Top Bottom