Peanut butter warning! (RE: FDA Recall ONLY!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fawn said:
if some already ate a jar of peter pan with 2111 and nothing happens, then not all jar with that sereal number is affected with the virus?

I do not know the answer to this. But I do know that my friend who became violently ill from eating the contaminated peanut butter, was the first (and only) person to eat from the contaminated jar.

Fawn, they're not sure which jars exactly we contanminated ... all they know is that people have gotten sick from eating pb from the lot (batch) that went into jars with the code 2111. Not every jar will contain the same amount of salmonella, but all probably have at least a little tainting or have the risk of tainting. It's like the spinach - not all the leaves of spinach were contaminated but enough were that it became a health risk so they destroyed the whole lot (batch) of that spinach. It's the thought that it's better to be safe than sorry ...

And Corey123, they're not badmouthing pb in general. I'm with you, I'm tired of hearing one day that eggs are alright and then the next that they are not too, but this is very different. Salmonella can kill you. Wouldn't you want to be aware of something that has gotten into your food that can cause you harm?

thanks!

i checked out my peter pan with serial number 2111. And found it that it was already expired a year ago LOL

Does anyone eat expired peanut butter? I often do, nothing bad happens to my tummy. Although you will notice a diffrent taste on the PB...

fawn said:
thanks!

i checked out my peter pan with serial number 2111. And found it that it was already expired a year ago LOL

Does anyone eat expired peanut butter? I often do, nothing bad happens to my tummy. Although you will notice a diffrent taste on the PB...

I did.

It was almost a month past the expiration date. When the news broke on the affected brands, and this was, and it had to numbers 211, I threw it away.

Yours had expired a year ago?!! I bet it smelled like it was a thousand years old!! I hope you threw it away once you found that out!:ROFLMAO:

Corey123 said:
...And JM, technically, salmonella is only supposed to be in poultry and eggs. How on earth is it getting into other stuff?:ermm:

My guess is through either the fertilizer or human error (handling something contaminated, not washing their hands and then touching the peanuts). I don't know ... just a guess.

This thread was started to inform our users about the FDA recall of certain peanut butter products - all Peter Pan and certain Wal-Mart Great Value products with the code 2111 on the lid/label.

But, some people wanted to hi-jack the thread to discuss other Peanut Butter things. Posts about peanut butter which were "Off Topic" (not directly related to the original topic) have been split off and moved to a new thread: Peanut Butter - Misc - NOT related to FDA recall (split)

Ok gang - here is the latest:

"Moisture from a leaky roof and faulty sprinkler helped salmonella bacteria grow and contaminate peanut butter at its Georgia plant last year, sickening more than 400 people nationwide, ConAgra Foods said Thursday." - thus began the article in The San Diego Union-Tribune posted on their website at 2:17 p.m. April 5, 2007. You can read the entire article here.

Here is the official ConAgra position posted on their website today (5 April 2007).

I have some questions and reservations - but I can also see how it "could" have happened that way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom