Safe Cooking Temp for Olive Oil & How to Tell Visually

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you haven't been seeing smoking and noticed a bad taste on your food, you're OK.

Just curious, what are you roasting at 450 F?

If you haven't been seeing smoking and noticed a bad taste on your food, you're OK.

Just curious, what are you roasting at 450 F?

Like I said, I am new to cooking. I'm not sure if this is the "right" temperature, but I used the recipe from PBS's Everyday Food for tandoori chicken. It's directions were to roast it at 475 F.

Well, it didn't taste as good as when I have it in the Indian restaurants. But ever since then, I have been roasting chicken breast at 450 because, well, I don't know, I guess I just assumed that since at 475 it was a little dry (I think indian is supposed to be a little dry, well at least the chicken, because that is how the tandoori is at an indian restaurtant i go to), i would lower it by 25 degrees...

How common is it to slather oil on the meat before roasting it? I distinctly recall in cooking class once that when we roasted a whole chicken, we slathered olive oil all over on the outside...

I don't know about all of you, but my whole family would have been gone long ago. The reason being that my mother fried, roasted, boiled everything to a fare thee well. Just forget about the carcinogen threat and enjoy good food prepared the way you like it.

Way to go Lyndalou, if you're not eating it three times a day every day chances are it won't kill you any quicker.

...I guess I just assumed that since at 475 it was a little dry (I think indian is supposed to be a little dry, well at least the chicken, because that is how the tandoori is at an indian restaurtant i go to), i would lower it by 25 degrees...

For whole chickens or whole parts with bone and skin, you can successfully bake/roast at temperatures from 325 F to 400 F. I wouldn't go above 400 F. because the thinner parts of the chicken will tend to dry out too fast.

While oiling chicken is a good idea, it's not necessary for all meats all the time. Many meats have enough fat present to make that unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom