Salmonella in Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was in a MacDonalds in Southern Ohio on Saturday and stopped to read a notice on its door. It said in support of a recent problem in two SW states, and NO problem with any MacDonalds, that they were not supplying any tomato products on any product they sold at that store. I did notice that they did not reduce the price on any sandwich or salad. It seemed totally bizarre. The sign also apologized for any inconvenience this may cause....A BLT without the T?:wacko:

At least they were being responsible. The problem seems to be extensive in the west and southwest with some eastern and southern states effected as well.

I saw a report on TV that said plum/roma and round tomatoes were effected. Cherry tomatos and those with the vines still attached were OK.

When I get up in the morning, I have to turn on the "Today" show to find out what I can and cannot eat that day. This is nuts. Apparently the problem has spread across the country into Virginia so it's not only the Southwestern states anymore.

Now I'm wondering, what do I do with the 6 gorgeous Romas I bought Saturday before I learned about the problem. Cooking the tomatoes or roasting them should solve the problem , right???

Last edited:
When I get up in the morning, I have to turn on the "Today" show to find out what I can and cannot eat that day. This is nuts. Apparently the problem has spread across the country into Virginia so it's not only the Southwestern states anymore.

Now I'm wondering, what do I do with the 6 gorgeous Romas I bought Saturday before I learned about the problem. Cooking the tomatoes or roasting them should solve the problem , right???

Yes. However you would need to be very careful about cross-contamination by knives, cutting boards, bowls or whatever.

yet another reason to be glad that I shop at a Greenmarket, where tomatoes have not even begun to show up yet! (and when they do, this won't be a problem, because they are not mass produced).

oops, I just reread what I wrote, and I want to say I'm not meaning to sound smug.... I know I'm lucky to have such good local tomatoes available in the summer. I really don't care for the flavor and texture of out of season tomatoes, so I only buy and use them when I can purchase the local ones, which is pretty much late July through mid-October. At that time, I go crazy over them!

I was in a MacDonalds in Southern Ohio on Saturday and stopped to read a notice on its door. It said in support of a recent problem in two SW states, and NO problem with any MacDonalds, that they were not supplying any tomato products on any product they sold at that store. I did notice that they did not reduce the price on any sandwich or salad. It seemed totally bizarre. The sign also apologized for any inconvenience this may cause....A BLT without the T?:wacko:
Most of the restaurants, including McDonald's, here in San Antonio are no longer serving any fresh tomatoes right now. It's playing havoc with the Mexican restaurants since they rely heavily on fresh tomatoes.

This stinks! 2-3 years ago something happened to the tomato crop and there was a shortage - not only fresh but also affected the quantity available for commercial canning. Remember those 2/$1 28-oz cans we used to frequently see on sale - nobody around here has had those since then.

I had heard McDonalds had stopped serving tomatoes, now I know why. Yikes! I wonder what Burger King is going to do, or the taco stands around here.

Back
Top Bottom