Salmonella is spreading (peanut butter)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to make my own peanut butter! Salmonella is spread through feces of humans and animals. Makes you wonder what is going on in the peanut fields or at the processing plants. Maybe I'll change that Cashew Butter.

It could be cross-contaminated at any stage along the distribution. ANY food can be contaminated if the circumstances are right.

People should wonder how much of the bacteria they have on their body right now that is cross contaminating a lot of things. I especially love that spray from the toilet that makes sure we don't leave without 'something'.

It could be cross-contaminated at any stage along the distribution. ANY food can be contaminated if the circumstances are right.

People should wonder how much of the bacteria they have on their body right now that is cross contaminating a lot of things. I especially love that spray from the toilet that makes sure we don't leave without 'something'.

well germs are everywhere and I am not a hand sanitizer nut... I figure the immune system can handle alot... I mean there are nasties everywhere... subway poles.. ick... but I never worry.

The food supply chain is another story though... the creeping salmonella is dangerous... makes me think of a modern day "The Jungle"

I don't know anything about "creeping" Salmonella. A lot of investigation and testing is going on and being reported each time they find something. And of course the consumer starts getting paranoid and will have symptoms (real or imagined) which causes the testing to branch out, and then it takes days for lab testing to be done.....all way too complicated and time consuming, and often without really knowing factually what the true source of the outbreak is. The recent Tomato issue was a good example of this.

Everyone agrees that the situation sucks and has to be changed so that contaminations, accidental, natural, or otherwise, can be detected and stopped at the source before they get into the distribution channels. Its not that many years ago that such mass distribution of foods was even possible, so nobody really anticipated needing complex and expensive testing and controls.

But think about it....you suffer from food poisoning on a regular basis in your own home, though most are minor and short lived. Our immune systems do their job. And the next time you have an upset stomach or a little diarrhea, think about it.....

McNerd is right you can get salmonella at any stage of processing.

We get salmonella by swallowing the bacteria or coming into contact with people or animals that have salmonella. Person to person contact is usually through poor handwashing. Our pets can carry the salmonella bacteria, yes even our cats and dogs. Salmonella is also spread by contaminated water. An example of this would be watering the crops with the same water source that the cattle use.

My 24 yo son called me yesterday. He ate 3 of the peanut butter cracker things on Saturday and was very sick on Sunday for a short while. :(

Thank you for the infor. Can you believe this all started back in September?

I've been buying peanut butter for a few months now. Both the jarred 365 Brand from Whole Foods and their freshly ground peanuts (great for peanut butter cookies) with no problem. I wish I had bought 2 jars now. No telling when we'll be able to buy it again. I GOTTA have peanut butter. :mad:

Useful information on recalls: (Seems I'm too new to post a link) search FDA recalls and you will get a list of all market recalls.

Thank you for the link Uncle Bob. We have / had the pet treats and I was wondering about the Nature Valley granola bars we have. I don't see them listed but I may hang on to them for a bit ... I'd rather not be the one to discover they are tainted too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom