Slow cook turkey @ 200 deg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
I put half of a partially-thawed turkey (minus breast) into a borrowed slow cooker 3 hours ago. I thought I set the temperature at 300 deg. I just discovered that I set it at 200 deg. I have upped the temperature to 300. My original intent was to package it up, freeze it and eat it over the next couple of weeks. Will it be safe to eat, or should I throw it out?

Putting a partially thawed turkey in a crockpot generally is not safe to begin with. The turkey should be completely thawed before it goes in the pot. Cooking the bird at 200 is not a problem though. The danger zone is 40-140 degrees F. When the bird is within that range then nasties can grow at a dangerous rate. Below or above that and you are safe.

I had the 1/2 turkey thawing in the refrigerator since Saturday. I took the day off work, borrowed the slow cooker and much to my chagrin I discovered the turkey was not fully thawed. I noticed my mistake with the temperature because the poultry looked uncooked after 3 hours.

I put half of a partially-thawed turkey (minus breast) into a borrowed slow cooker 3 hours ago. I thought I set the temperature at 300 deg. I just discovered that I set it at 200 deg. I have upped the temperature to 300. My original intent was to package it up, freeze it and eat it over the next couple of weeks. Will it be safe to eat, or should I throw it out?

We're in a bind here, if we say it's ok and it isn't that is bad. If we say no it isn't ok and it is we owe you a turkey minus breast. Maybe I would rather owe you!

We did a slow cooked turkey for Thanksgiving and I'm thinking without the breast you are ok, but I would throw it out.

We're in a bind here, if we say it's ok and it isn't that is bad. If we say no it isn't ok and it is we owe you a turkey minus breast. Maybe I would rather owe you!

We did a slow cooked turkey for Thanksgiving and I'm thinking without the breast you are ok, but I would throw it out.

I understand your reluctance and agree with your conclusion. Considering the fact that it still looked raw, I threw it out.

Thanks

Cooking a turkey at 200 degrees is not safe. It's a recipe for potential food poisoning.

Cooking at such a low temperature means that the bird will be lingering in the danger zone (40-140) for hours in the cooker. This allows bacteria to swarm all over it, multiplying rapidly. Though most bacteria is killed by cooking, the bacteria can produce toxins that may not be killed by further cooking.

The USDA says you should never cook a turkey at less than 325, which I think is high to be on the safe side. I'm sure you could cook one lower than that, but definitely not at 200.

Thanks for correcting my stupid mistake Jenny. I wrongly was thinking that since the cooking temp was above 140 then it was safe. I will blame being very sick for a week on my not thinking clearly :angel:

Thanks for correcting my stupid mistake Jenny. I wrongly was thinking that since the cooking temp was above 140 then it was safe. I will blame being very sick for a week on my not thinking clearly :angel:

You aren't stupid -- we all know that!!

I hope you didn't get sick from crockpot turkey though .....:neutral:

jet,
I'd say give the turkey to your mother-in-law LOL

[This post has been EDITED:]

The off-topic discussion about ham has been split and moved to our Beef, Pork, Lamb Forum - under the Pork subforum: Cooking a ham at low temp?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been told by a food professional that cooking a turkey at 200 degrees is an invitation to food poisoning. The fact that it is still partially frozen makes matters worse.
Please be careful!

Back
Top Bottom