Time From Oven to 'Fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
I am curious on what people's thoughts are on this.

I just got done making a rather large meatloaf (like a 9x13x2 baking dish).

How long would you let it sit on the stove covered in foil before sticking it in the fridge? Too soon and this thing is a large source of heat that can effect other things already in there, too late and it can get bad for you.

It was baked at 350F for a little over an hour and is topped with Indiana Tomato Gravy*.

Thoughts?

*That's just plain old ketchup but some here might get the joke.

Hmm, I was just thinking about that yesterday, since we had lasagna and it was about that size. I guess you could stick a thermometer in it and wait until it gets near 140°F. I think that's the bottom of the safe zone for hot foods.

I'm probably guilty of leaving things out too long.

My preference is to let things come to room temperature before putting them into the fridge.

It works for me, I've never gotten sick as a result.

Kathleen is due home right around the 2ish hour mark from the time it left the oven. This should be interesting.

I'm probably guilty of leaving things out too long.

My preference is to let things come to room temperature before putting them into the fridge.

It works for me, I've never gotten sick as a result.

Same here. Our household has iron stomachs so we tend to leave them overnight, then into the fridge. It they cool down sufficiently before bedtime they will be put in the fridge.

Why is it in foil?

That is to retain heat.

Sounds like you want to shed heat before putting it in fridge. Take the foil off.

Modern fridges can accommodate hot foods, but I'd leave it out for at least a half an hour-- uncovered.

Don't letvit get much past 140 though.

I usually package foods for the fridge when I finish eating. For a big pot of food like chili, I remove the lid and take the pot off the burner and put it on a cold burner. When I've finished eating, I stir the pot to bring the hotter food to the top and wait a bit longer.

Meatloaf I remove from the pan to cool and get it out of any residual grease. By the time I've finished my meal (no more than a half hour, I place the meatloaf in a large zip bag and put it in the fridge.

Why is it in foil?

That is to retain heat.

Sounds like you want to shed heat before putting it in fridge. Take the foil off.

Modern fridges can accommodate hot foods, but I'd leave it out for at least a half an hour-- uncovered.

Don't letvit get much past 140 though.

I was hoping to keep it hot enough for when she got home without the need to reheat it after it got put in the fridge for a bit.

I'll leave it over night, have some for breakfast and then cover and put it in the fridge.

Scrape off your two portions for dinner, wrap in foil. The rest portion out as you like and fridge before it hits 140.

Glad to know there will be meatloaf for breakfast...yum!

I am curious on what people's thoughts are on this.

I just got done making a rather large meatloaf (like a 9x13x2 baking dish).

How long would you let it sit on the stove covered in foil before sticking it in the fridge? Too soon and this thing is a large source of heat that can effect other things already in there, too late and it can get bad for you.

It was baked at 350F for a little over an hour and is topped with Indiana Tomato Gravy*.

Thoughts?

*That's just plain old ketchup but some here might get the joke.
How long is a piece of string? The length of time something takes to cool depends on so many factors - ambient temperature of the room, size and shape of the meatloaf (long and thin will cool quicker than round or oblong and deep). In cold weather I often put something to cool in the boot/trunk of the (parked) car if the kitchen is warm.

Sorry not to be more precise.

Same here. Our household has iron stomachs so we tend to leave them overnight, then into the fridge. It they cool down sufficiently before bedtime they will be put in the fridge.

Overnight? I'm pretty liberal about these things, a lot more so than many on this forum, but if I accidentally leave something out overnight (a meat dish in particular), then it goes in the garbage. Leaving something overnight is more than just a bit much. After that much time, bacterial activity is well begun, and while refrigeration will slow it down, it won't stop it. You are taking a big chance with your family by assuming that an "iron stomach" will eliminate the risk.

Last edited:
Overnight? I'm pretty liberal about these things, a lot more so than many on this forum, but if I accidentally leave something out overnight (a meat dish in particular), then it goes in the garbage. Leaving something overnight is more than just a bit much. After that much time, bacterial activity is well begun, and while refrigeration will slow it down, it won't stop it. You are taking a big chance with your family by assuming that an "iron stomach" will eliminate the risk.
I have done it on occasion. I have an iron stomach too. But, now that I am older, I am more cautious. I can tell that my immune system isn't as strong as it once was and I heal slower too.

When a refrigerator is sitting right in the middle of all of our kitchens why not use it?

I just don't get it. :wacko:
Sometimes fridges need to have their contents rearranged to fit the item. Sometimes one is simply too tired after eating.

Sometimes fridges need to have their contents rearranged to fit the item. Sometimes one is simply too tired after eating.

I fall into this category....especially after a couple of glasses of wine. I'm often too tired and the whatever contents of the large pot need to be split into smaller tupperware containers so they can find room in the fridge. So much easier to do this in the morning....

Back
Top Bottom