Why are pistachios not sold shelled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I just spend 2 hours shelling a container of them; does anyone know why can't i buy them this way ?

You can buy them at regular grocery stores (and Trader Joes) but they aren't as fresh looking nor tasting. They are brownish compared to the spring green color of fresh.

A large jar of shelled salted pistachios were a standard Christmas gift for me a while back. They went down really fast.

often i will avoid recipes with these nuts. just not into the shelling process. my daughter loves them and even she gets tired of shelling. wish they would present a quality shelled version.

You can buy very fresh tasting and "green" pistachios that are shelled... just need to ask your local grocer to supply them. We have a wholesale club called BJ's that stocks these...

PAM070146W6_1_1.JPG

They get about $10 for one pound of shelled nuts.
The brand is "Wonderful".
They can also be found online.

I have never seen shelled pistachio nuts, but shelling them as I eat them slows me down a little, which is good lol. Gotta watch the girlish figure ;) I am surprised they aren't sold shelled more often tho

often i will avoid recipes with these nuts. just not into the shelling process. my daughter loves them and even she gets tired of shelling. wish they would present a quality shelled version.

found a site that sells unsalted , shelled for 11 odd dollars a pound if i can remember site, may go back and buy:chef:

All Indian stores sell shelled pistachios. I never bother to buy the ones that are not shelled, plus I hate all that extra salt they pile on.

I can buy them shelled, in the produce section of my piggly-wiggly; and I live in a very small town. I like to use them instead of pine nuts in my pesto. I think maybe the sort of "health food" section of a store might have them.

WalMart has shelled pistachios--they could be Diamond brand--and I usually find them in the produce section. They are about $8 for the container, a pound, maybe?

So glad I could provide such a definitive answer. :)

roadfix said:
Half the fun of enjoying pistachios is shelling them as you eat.

Agreed!! But, the annoyance came about from wanting to use them in recipes. If you had a recipe for 1/2 cup of walnuts, would you want to sit there and shell them into the measuring cup? I wouldn't lol

I only buy them shelled, from middle east grocery stores. If you shell them for recipes you get alot of salt with them. I keep them in the freezer til needed ,usually in stuffing or pate. For me Pistachios in the shell and roquefort cheese are substance abuse items , I simply eat them til they are gone ,so best not have them around.

I wonder how much the shells weigh on pistachios. I am sure that 1 pound of nuts in the shell weighs less than 1 pound without the shells. For example 1.1 pounds of pistachios with the shell = 1 pound of shelled pistachios. What is the additional cost of buying shelled pistachios?

Back
Top Bottom