Worms in Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkiogora

Assistant Cook
I purchased a bag of rice and a couple of weeks later the bag had worms in it - some of the worms had morphed into moth-like insects. What would cause this? The rice is in a waterproof bag that has a zip-lock seal so nothing can get in from outside. The same thing happened to a friend of mine too - same store same brand of rice. Now this rice is over $25 per bag and the package is nothing short of stellar. Any help would be appreciated -

I purchased a bag of rice and a couple of weeks later the bag had worms in it - some of the worms had morphed into moth-like insects. What would cause this? The rice is in a waterproof bag that has a zip-lock seal so nothing can get in from outside. The same thing happened to a friend of mine too - same store same brand of rice. Now this rice is over $25 per bag and the package is nothing short of stellar. Any help would be appreciated -

Looks like you have mealworms in your rice. This happens often with rice, pasta and some other dry grains. It's possible the eggs were in the rice at the time it was packaged. I would chuck it and try to buy rice in bulk so you can look through it as you pour into your bag.

I can't even imagine why you are paying $25.00 per bag for rice. How big is this bag and what kind of rice is $25.00 per bag????

I've heard this sometimes happens with flour. I'd take it back, most grocery stores will take products back with a brief explanation. I've taken tortillas back to the store after they went moldy in 3 days.

We often face this problem in India.

We add a handful salt to the rice and mix properly. The worms will leave the rice after some time.

In the time of cooking take required quantity of salted rice and wash with water, the rice will be salt free and cook.

Interesting. Well the worms definitely somehow got in when they packaged the rice. That never happened to me before... but if it did, I would take it back to the store as well especially when you are paying 25$ for a bag.

I had something similar happen when I bought some couscous in bulk in an ethnic grocery store in Florida. Got it home and it was full of bugs of some sort within a few days. I assume the eggs were there. When I lived in Florida, though, these sorts of incidents were not uncommon. My sister used to keep flour, sugar, etc, in the fridge to ward off weevils. I invested heavily in good-quality tupperware. I remember when we lived in Germany (where baby sis was born), mom used to insist that we wipe clean the tops of cans, especially the cans of milk (I can't remember, what was it we used to make baby formula before enfamil was invented? Either evaporated or condensed milk)(hey, must have been evaporated, because we added corn syrup) with a cloth that had some bleach in it. She said, "You never know what bugs may have crawled on it." She was a good housekeeper (was, heck, is) but not one of the evrything has to be sanitized kind of person.

I found some in lentils also. I tossed them, but now I put anything grain, beans, etc in the freezer for 24 hours at least and haven't had the problem since. My mother always washed her rice, but I don't hear of others doing that now. Is it still done?

I`v never encountered that problem myself, but as precaution, I always put a load of Bay Leaves in the bag of rice to prevent infestations that Could occur later after opening.

the worms and moths are mealy moths-----small, ugly, grey, the worms are actually eggs that have hatched into minute larvae--------if you notice a tiny greyish ugly moth or two hanging about in your pantry-----BEWARE-------they are probably laying eggs into any meal related item that you have......flour, cornmeal, rice, oatmeal, cereals, popcorn etc., etc, etc,

another pest is a minute beetle that does the same thing......any meal product and they will love you for life --they are called flour beetles though they love any meal based product and are in cahoots with the moths and you'll notice their larvae when you go to make something.... yep, the ooooooooooh factor.....people call them weevils though most are not.........I don't know about the moths but for the beetles it's best to add some cheap bay leaves to your bags and that seems to repel them........you can also tape a few bay leaves to the undersides of your pantry shelves and that will help, too........when I see the moths I don't hesitate...... I eliminate them......just don't use an insecticide in your pantry however......they do make safe stuff......just ask around.......

In KZ there is no returning of food items that are ruined.......what you buy is what you get......in fact they might charge you more for the extra protein......ok just kidding......so I just put all that stuff in the freezer upon getting home and then when I open up the bags I drop in a few bay leaves.......

otherwise these pests will invade your entire pantry........I even found the beetle larvae and adults in cayenne red pepper......must be from TX.........

Been there with the worms in the rice and the moths - disgusting. I just tossed everything cleaned out pantry - it took a few days to get rid of the moths even after I emptied the pantry. Went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought containers for everything. I freeze my flour when I get it home for 3 days - can you freeze rice? Never have done that.

Washing/Rinsing the rice was to remove excess starch, so I don't think it was related to bug prevention.

Freezing needs a little longer than 24 hours from what I understand so there is total penetration.

All my flour and rice gets placed into FoodSaver bags and vacuum sealed. Kills any bugs the same as freezer plus locks in the freshness for longer storage.

Been there with the worms in the rice and the moths - disgusting. I just tossed everything cleaned out pantry - it took a few days to get rid of the moths even after I emptied the pantry. Went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought containers for everything. I freeze my flour when I get it home for 3 days - can you freeze rice? Never have done that.

oh, my yes, you can freeze rice and I actually recommend it esp, if you've brought home bags with the wee beasties in them......

Last night I threw away 2 bags of sea shell pasta that I bought a few days ago. I dumped them in a Tupperware container and when I went to use them last night for soup I noticed little brown things in the broth. I took a good look in the container there were hundreds of little teeny worms. AND the sea shells were full of eggs. No matter how well you wrap, seal or freeze the food, I know they were there when I bought them. Grossed me out almost as much as the 2 scorpions I found on my wall and in my bathroom sink.

I don't need this. Can't control the scorpions but I won't be buyng anymore sea shells. This is the second time this has happend. EEEEEWWWWW.

Last night I threw away 2 bags of sea shell pasta that I bought a few days ago. I dumped them in a Tupperware container and when I went to use them last night for soup I noticed little brown things in the broth. I took a good look in the container there were hundreds of little teeny worms. AND the sea shells were full of eggs. No matter how well you wrap, seal or freeze the food, I know they were there when I bought them. Grossed me out almost as much as the 2 scorpions I found on my wall and in my bathroom sink.

I don't need this. Can't control the scorpions but I won't be buyng anymore sea shells. This is the second time this has happend. EEEEEWWWWW.
DramaQueen,

Please tell the store management......not only for a refund but so that they can contact their suppliers and see what is going on .............usually if one bag is infested so are the rest........it's the same problem where I live......only I'm not allowed to come in and get a refund and their suppliers are the same people who supply all the other groceries........but it's different in the states........you have a recourse.....use it.....and good luck.........that is such a pain!!!

From what I understand, most grains come with a certain number of bugs, but freezing kills them. Since I started freezing all grains and cereals for a few days, I have never had a problem.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom