Would You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL:
What's REALLY annoying is when milk goes bad before the exp date. grrr...

I think that happens at the store/market level. We don't have any problems with milk purchased from Sprouts or Kroger - often the milk is good a day or two after the date, but have had issues with other stores with milk going bad 4 days before the expiration date!
:huh:

That's only happened to me at a little mini mart where I get gasoline. I no longer grab a gallon of milk while I'm there. It's never happened at Albertsons or Staters - we have a little 'drive through dairy' here, it's never happened there, either.

:LOL:
What's REALLY annoying is when milk goes bad before the exp date. grrr...

That usually happens because the store let it sit outside of the refrigeration units too long. When deliveries of milk are made, they should be handled immediately. I see that happen so often. :angel:

I blame it on the plastic bag (here in Canada, most milk is "bottled" in plastic bags). Once opened, the milk is exposed to air. With jugs or cartons, at least you can seal the container. I don't buy bagged milk.

I blame it on the plastic bag (here in Canada, most milk is "bottled" in plastic bags). Once opened, the milk is exposed to air. With jugs or cartons, at least you can seal the container. I don't buy bagged milk.

I cannot grasp milk in a bag. Any pics available to show. Is the bag in a box with a spout for pouring? :angel:

Here's a link.

Only in Canada... in General Discussion Forum

Before opening the bag (you can buy special "cutters" to clip the corner), you have to put it in a pitcher.

And, you have to "burp" it when you drop it in the pitcher before you open it and you can't clip too much off the corner or you end up with milk spilling or the bag collapsing into the pitcher. I am convinced this is a skill one learns in kindergarden. I did not learn this skill and can't tell you how frustrated I've been since 1987 dealing with bags of milk. I only buy milk in cartons or gallon jugs. I use my milk jug to measure out the Girls feed.

Last edited:
I cannot grasp milk in a bag. Any pics available to show. Is the bag in a box with a spout for pouring? :angel:
Here you go Addie:

2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B2

2015%2B-%2B3

Here's a link.

Before opening the bag (you can buy special "cutters" to clip the corner), you have to put it in a pitcher.

And, you have to "burp" it when you drop it in the pitcher before you open it and you can't clip too much off the corner or you end up with milk spilling or the bag collapsing into the pitcher. I am convinced this is a skill one learns in kindergarden. I did not learn this skill and can't tell you how frustrated I've been since 1987 dealing with bags of milk. I only buy milk in cartons or gallon jugs. I use my milk jug to measure out the Girls feed.
I learned it as an adult. I don't use a special cutter, just scissors. I don't find it goes off faster than closed bottles, cartons, jugs. I will admit that I didn't much care for them at first. Now, it's my preferred way to buy milk.

Here's a link.

But then, I didn't go to kindergarten (nor did I live in Canada then).

And just to confuse the issue, the bag of 4 litres of milk only has 3 bags inside, each 1 1/3 litre.
TL--I'm sure I told you about my friends who moved to PQ from Denmark and couldn't figure out how one would deal with 4 litres of milk (they had no idea there were 3 bags inside and didn't see a 4 l pitcher anywhere near the dairy case). I have always wondered why there are 3 bags inside, but on the outside bag, the consumer is told 4 litres. Why isn't it labeled 3 x 1-1/3 litres?

Here you go Addie:

2015%2B-%2B1

2015%2B-%2B2

2015%2B-%2B3

This one time I am positive that I am glad I don't live in Canada. Milk in a plastic bag would make my life just too difficult. I would be spending my old age mopping up milk all day long. If I was lucky, I might get a four ounce glass out of it. :angel:

This one time I am positive that I am glad I don't live in Canada. Milk in a plastic bag would make my life just too difficult. I would be spending my old age mopping up milk all day long. If I was lucky, I might get a four ounce glass out of it. :angel:
But Addie, I don't have to buy it that way. I can buy it one or two litre cartons or two litre jugs.

We camped in Mississauga with the kids on two different vacations. That first vacation in 1985 was our introduction to milk in a bag. The little store we stopped at had special holders for the bags, but the lady said it seemed kind of silly for us to spend money on something we needed for so short of a time. We ended up going back to our tent, washing out the old bottle, and carefully pouring milk from bag to bottle by nipping off a tiny bit of the bag's corner. The second time to Canada, we packed a plastic funnel from home. :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom