Oxtail Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
Hi, my name is FraidKnot and I am a soupaholic.:) I adore a good soup any time of year, but this is one of my favourites and I'll be making some very soon!

2 oxtails, disjointed
1/4 c. oil
flour seasoned with salt & pepper
3 quarts water (add more if needed)
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped onion
2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
Bouquet Garni: sprigs of fresh parsley, a bay leaf, sprigs of fresh marjoram or thyme and 3-4 peppercorns tied up in a cheesecloth bundle

Dust oxtails with seasoned flour. Brown well in deep pot in oil. Add 2
quarts water, 1 tsp. salt and bouquet garni. Simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove oxtails to a platter and let cool to the touch. Skim fat from soup. Bone the oxtails and add the meat to the soup. Stir in remaining 1 quart water and the vegetables. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes. Remove bouquet garni. Taste the soup and adjust seasonings as needed. Stir in parsley and heat through. Serves 8

Fraidy

Last edited:
lol... yep... me too. I must confess.

I just happen to have some oxtails in the freezer.
( I'll have to add some garlic and mushrooms too! )

My supermarket sells oxtail already disjointed in a plastic tray. So how much oxtail do I need in pounds and ouces.

Welcome to "soupaholics anonymous!" What a great soup to be addicted to, Fraidy!!!!!!!!! Thank you for posting your recipe!!!!!!

Andy M. said:
My supermarket sells oxtail already disjointed in a plastic tray. So how much oxtail do I need in pounds and ouces.

Hmmm, beats me. I buy them the same way you described. I guess the weight is about 2-1/2 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom