Adding herbs and spices to salads and soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hermes14

Assistant Cook
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and want to learn more about cooking, and in particular healthy cooking.

I am interested in adding herbs and spices to my food but I'm wondering if I could get some guidance on one question:

I eat many salads and soups, and with my current limited knowledge of herbs and spices, I believe that they can't be eaten raw (e.g., dried thyme, paprika, etc), is this indeed the case, do they need to be cooked? If so, then how would you recommend adding herbs and spices to salads and soups, since the former are not cooked, and the latter are brewed (rather than fried, and I thought that herbs and spices need to be fried to be edible)

Many thanks for the help!

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and want to learn more about cooking, and in particular healthy cooking.

I am interested in adding herbs and spices to my food but I'm wondering if I could get some guidance on one question:

I eat many salads and soups, and with my current limited knowledge of herbs and spices, I believe that they can't be eaten raw (e.g., dried thyme, paprika, etc), is this indeed the case, do they need to be cooked? If so, then how would you recommend adding herbs and spices to salads and soups, since the former are not cooked, and the latter are brewed (rather than fried, and I thought that herbs and spices need to be fried to be edible)

Many thanks for the help!
hi hermes,welcome to dc from manchester uk.you're right,most dried herbs/spices need to have the "rawness" cooked out of them either by frying if they are ground or dry pan roasting in the case of whole dried spice.i guess just a couple of exceptions are ground black pepper as a condiment & dried dill which can be mixed into mayo as an accompaniment to fish etc.but why only use dried?.raw,finely shredded fresh basil or coriander(cilantro)leaf work beautifully in a salad.a lot of fresh herbs like basil,coriander leaf,dill & thyme have quite a short "half life" when cooked & should be added towards the end of the cooking time for max flavour so are well suited to the gentler cooking of soups
good luck:)!

Not sure what you mean by raw, but many dried herbs are used in salad dressings and fresh herbs are used in the salad itself. Spices are often used in their raw form as well. Many folks use paprika sprinkled on potato salad or deviled eggs. Dried oregano is shaken, as is, over Italian-American sandwiches. Soups can be hot or cold. Herbs and spices are used in both. I'll put fresh grated nutmeg on squash and potato soups.

I dont cook out dried herbs, I just add them straight into whatever dish I am using them in. Some dishes are cooked, some are not, for example I use dried oregano in a greek salad, I dont cook it out first.

I only cook out whole spices, before grinding, such as cumin seeds, coriander seeds, that type of thing, this really brings them out and then you can grind them.

Most herbs are fresh or dried leaves and stalks of plants. Dried herbs need to be rehydrated to release their flavor. Most spices are seeds, berries and barks. They need to be ground and often cooked with food to provide their flavor.

As was mentioned, fresh herbs work great uncooked. Otherwise, the issue is getting the flavors from the dried herbs and spices. They provide the best flavor when they have time to release their flavors. Roasting and grinding spices is the best way to maximize their flavors.

I appreciate the advice guys :) Now things are starting to make more sense about herbs and spices.

So am I correct in understanding that as long as the herbs and spices are grounded (rather than whole pieces of herbs and spices because it might not be pleasant chewing threw a whole piece of cinnamon or cloves, for example), it is possible to add them to any food without cooking them?

Thanks

At least in some cases. You already grind black pepper onto food at the dinner table.

If they are ground, they'll be edible sprinkled on food but may not be the best use.

I add both fresh & dried herbs/spices "as is" to salads all the time. No reason not to. The only "prep" I might do is to rub them between my hands over the dish to release more of the oils.

The only time I would normally roast/toast dried spices (not herbs, SPICES - dried herbs would just get burnt if you tried to toast them) would be when cooking Indian cuisine, where spice mixtures are normally toasted to help bring out & meld the flavors for particular curries. For most other cuisines, it's not called for or necessary.

If spices like cinnamon, cloves, etc., are ground, there is absolutely no reason or necessity to cook them.

Last edited:
...when cooking Indian cuisine, where spice mixtures are normally toasted to help bring out & meld the flavors for particular curries. For most other cuisines, it's not called for or necessary...

I'd bet when making molés in Mexico, they toast the spices to get max flavor. I frequently toast a ground spice to enhance its flavor if its been sitting for a while.

Fact is, if toasting spices brings out their natural oils and therefore their flavor, it should be done regardless of cuisine.

I'd bet when making molés in Mexico, they toast the spices to get max flavor. I frequently toast a ground spice to enhance its flavor if its been sitting for a while.

Fact is, if toasting spices brings out their natural oils and therefore their flavor, it should be done regardless of cuisine.

That's true - I've made moles and other Mexican sauces where dried chiles are toasted and then ground.

hermes14, as you've seen, there are a wide variety of ways to use fresh and dried herbs and spices. Experiment and learn what you like. It's all good :)

I eat many salads and soups, and with my current limited knowledge of herbs and spices, I believe that they can't be eaten raw (e.g., dried thyme, paprika, etc), is this indeed the case, do they need to be cooked?

No, that is just completely wrong. As I type this I'm trying to come up with an example of a dried spice that cannot be used uncooked, or a fresh spice that can't be used dehydrated. Usually it's just a question of freshness of leaf spices and herbs vs. the stale taste of dried spices and herbs.

For example, all of these fresh spices and herbs can be added to salads: thyme, rosemary, mint, coriander (cilantro), basil, chili peppers (often sliced or minced), sage, oregano... and of course pepper... the list is endless.

Note that spices have differing strength depending on whether they are dried or fresh. Other spices are smoked or otherwise treated which can change their taste. Also note that many leafy herbs in flake form should be ground with mortar and pestle or at least rubbed between your hands to release the taste before using them. Note also that leafy or less processed herbs and spices are usually preferable to finely ground spices because their flavor will be better. This is why it's always preferable to buy peppercorns vs. buying ground pepper. Grind it yourself and the oils have less chance to evaporate, oxidize or degrade.

IMO salads can be transformed by use of fresh spices and herbs when used properly.

Last edited:
As you'll learn, here in DC, everyone has an opinion. For my taste, dried herbs are best if put in when cooking, so that thy can be reconstituted, fresh are better put in the end (bay leaves being a big exception), when the fresh color and bright taste can be better appreciated.

Spices, to me, are another ball of wax. Sometimes sauteeing them in a bit of oil can bring out the flavor. If you're making a long-cooking dish, though, it may not be necessary.

Two things to note about herbs. One is that the dried versions are very concentrated, far more potent by weight than the fresh. Take care not to use too much dried.

The second is that different fresh herbs, if you want them to retain some visual presence in the dish, can tolerate different amounts of preparation. Some will become pretty much mush if chopped too fine. If you want the herbs to be seen, as well as tasted, chop it rather coursely, stopping before it loses its character. For instance, I generally want basil to be seen in tomato dishes and salads, so I just roll the leaves and slice them into thin strips. Other, like rosemary, when used as a fresh herb, are so tough that they should be as finely chopped as possible.

Dried versions can also be weaker, particularly the more powdered they are and the longer they've been on the shelf.

Leave that spice or herb in your kitchen cabinet long enough and it can lose most of its taste. I hazard a guess that most people don't even know how long it has been since they opened a spice/herb bottle. Since I began labeling date opened using a permanent marker I've sometimes found spices/herbs that I've had several years, way too long for them to have their original qualities.

Dried versions can also be weaker, particularly the more powdered they are and the longer they've been on the shelf.

Leave that spice or herb in your kitchen cabinet long enough and it can lose most of its taste. I hazard a guess that most people don't even know how long it has been since they opened a spice/herb bottle. Since I began labeling date opened using a permanent marker I've sometimes found spices/herbs that I've had several years, way too long for them to have their original qualities.

Yeah. That's true if they get old. I think that's a real consideration when considering buying dried when there's a regular source for fresh. The fresh herb seems expensive, but in terms of not using stale stuff, it's cheaper. Good news is the ones you rarely or never buy fresh, cloves, peppercorns, and cinnamon sticks, have four-year shelf lives in the bottle. Nutmeg, ground cinnamon, and turmeric, are generally used in things that you can predict your frequency of consumption and not buy more than two years worth.

And since a lot of us are probably spice hoarders, they can be frozen to long extend their useful lives almost indefinitely. With some of the really good deals available on bulk spices, that's worth considering.

But nothing beats a little culinary garden or herb pot.

That would be the day that peppercorns ever went bad in my house! :)

I use both dried and fresh. Depends on the dish, depends on availability of fresh and willingness of wanting to drive over and get some.

Two things to note about herbs. One is that the dried versions are very concentrated, far more potent by weight than the fresh. Take care not to use too much dried.

The second is that different fresh herbs, if you want them to retain some visual presence in the dish, can tolerate different amounts of preparation. Some will become pretty much mush if chopped too fine. If you want the herbs to be seen, as well as tasted, chop it rather coursely, stopping before it loses its character. For instance, I generally want basil to be seen in tomato dishes and salads, so I just roll the leaves and slice them into thin strips. Other, like rosemary, when used as a fresh herb, are so tough that they should be as finely chopped as possible.
If I am using dry rosemary, I grind it. I really don't like getting poked in the gums by those nasty little twigs.

FrankZ said:
Until you need some some thyme and you realize it is pouring rain, and your umbrella is in the car...:neutral:

Happened to me tonight, I wanted fresh thyme, but didn't want to go out in the rain, so we went Thyme less.... Lol!

Back
Top Bottom