Black Pepper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only time I've raised an eyebrow over using black pepper is when I saw a TV chef putting it on strawbeerries!. I'm not sure about that.
DW had a friend who covered everything savoury she ate with pepper, clouds of the stuff.
You should really try it in strawberries. It is a really interesting and pleasing flavor combination.

:) WOW! Charlie I use it lightly or heavy depending on what I am making. So I guess cracked black pepper is like Kryptonite to you :LOL::LOL:

Pretty much so. All my life I hated spicy foods my mom used to make. Only now I realise it was the black pepper. I actually like spicy food and use a lot of cayene pepper and other hot peppers. But none of that black powder, yuk. :sick:

I can't think of a time not to use black pepper except in desserts....and the Lord knows I will try it in that as well!

I have two pepper mills, one for black pepper, one for white. I usually grind some black pepper into foods that I've cooked shortly before they're done. Stir, taste. I under-season food at home, as my family can't handle highly-seasoned foods. After I plate dinner, I'll grind a little more black pepper for mine.

I will mix white and black pepper, usually with cayenne, for Cajun food.

This is a great spice. I have a vivid memory of the first time I used a pepper mill and smelled and tasted freshly ground pepper. WOW, what a difference. I no longer use pre-ground pepper. If I don;t have a pepper mill, I pass on the pepper.

I am the same way Andy. The pre-ground stuff to me is just like dust you find around your house. It is not something I would ever want to eat.

What's your favorite brands and types of pepper? I have used regular black peppercorns for years that are probably store brand. I just picked up a bottle of McCormick multicolored peppercorns that I'm about to try too though. Years ago I remember using preground white pepper but I have not had it in the spice cabinet for a long time.

I recently purchased a very nice medium height wooden mill. I think it's maple or ash maybe. For 20 years I've had a small stainless and aluminum mill but I was never that crazy about it and the control was so-so. Wow, what a difference a quality French mill makes.

They are the only place I buy my spices now. Their prices are great and the quality is top notch.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some Penzey's spices, but I have to admit, I will probably still buy the "dust" pepper. While the taste isn't near as good as fresh ground, there are times I prefer not to have a course pepper grinding on my food.
One of those times is when I have hot pasta with butter. I like to put a fair amount of pepper on it, too, but the only texture I want is the pasta, not pepper grindings. There's a couple other things, too. Maybe I need to get a better pepper mill..... if they make one that will grind fine pepper.

William Bound and Peaugeot both make excellent pepper mills. They cost a bit of money, but they work very well. I have not been able to spend my money on either yet so I just bought a cheapo pepper ball. I usually prefer my pepper with a larger grind so I am not sure how fine it gets, but there is an adjustment on it.

Thanks, I'll check out the pepper ball, since I don't want to spend a lot of money on a mill either right now. I was boggled when I was looking at them last year, after the one my sister gave me broke. I ended up with one from Wally World that has an adjustment knob, but it seems better suited to keeping the lid on. Very hard to fill, too.

I keep three pepper mills in my kitchen. I don't think that I ever intended to have three, it just happened. Two have fine and course black pepper settings, and the third is filled with a triple blend. I also, when possible, grind cloves, allspice, cinnamon and other hard spices in very small quantities with a mortar and pestle. This is a lot of work, but the results are worth it. What is left over I store in very small jars. Most, if not all, spices lose flavor very quickly when ground. I put pepper in everything except desserts.

Question: How do you measure fresh ground pepper for a recipe? Do you grind it into something (small plastic storage container) so you can measure a tsp out, or eyeball it. I just eyeballed it for something, but I'm curious how close I actually came.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom