Black Pepper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterAtwood

Assistant Cook
I'm curious about the rules for black pepper. Specifically where to use and where not to use. I like pepper and use it a lot but sometimes if a dish calls for other spices such as paprika I don't know if it is a good idea to add black pepper or not. Anybody have stories of too much or inappropriate pepper usage? :-p

I do not think there are any real rules of thumb for pepper aside from the fact that pepper burns at high heat so you need to be careful of that.

I wouldn't hesitate to use black pepper and paprika in the same dish. Pepper has a distinct flavor not matched by real peppers (capsicum). Many dishes use several different peppers in the same dish to geta blend of different flavors.

Here is a rule for you. When possible, always use fresh ground black pepper instead of pre-ground. Pre-ground looses its flavor very quickly as the oils that give pepper its flavor disappear shortly after the peppercorns are ground.

I use fresh black pepper in/on everything. In fact, your 'proper' bechamel would call for white pepper. I don't like the flavor of white pepper and actually like to see the black pepper flakes in what I'm eating. Kind of like seeing the vanilla seeds in your ice cream.

The only time I use the pre ground pepper is when I'm BBQing. It takes forever to make a rub with fresh ground pepper using a hand operated peppermill.

Jeekinz, get yourself a coffee grinder to use for pepper (and other spices). That is how I grind my pepper for rubs and it works great.

Jeekinz, get yourself a coffee grinder to use for pepper (and other spices). That is how I grind my pepper for rubs and it works great.

Yeah, I've been meaning to do that. I've actually grabbed the "coffee grinder" before and thought 'How bad would one time be?...It's only once?' ....and decided against it. I drink Folgers in the big ol tub. The guests might be a tad thrown by the flavor though. LOL :angel:

i love pepper, black pepper, i put on pretty much everything i cook or eat. cept dessert. maybe because i don't us any salt cept in baking. i use a container up very quickly.

babe

Even though I love herbs/spices/flavorings of all kinds, I'm not the hugest fan of pepper. Yet, having said that, I usually follow recipes calling for pepper and ALWAYS use freshly ground pepper. As someone already said, the flavor is far better when freshly ground. I couldn't tell you how many years it's been since I've purchased one of those "red-and-white" boxes of ground pepper.

The only rules I have seen about black pepper are the ones my urologist gave me. No black pepper (kidney stones). I can compromise a little, but I can't give it up! I love black pepper, especially freshly, coarsely ground.

As far as what to put it in, it just depends on your tastes. I love it in a lot of things.

:)Barbara

The only time I've raised an eyebrow over using black pepper is when I saw a TV chef putting it on strawbeerries!. I'm not sure about that.
DW had a friend who covered everything savoury she ate with pepper, clouds of the stuff.

The only time I've raised an eyebrow over using black pepper is when I saw a TV chef putting it on strawbeerries!. I'm not sure about that...
That sounds strange to me too, but I have accidentally gotten pepper on cantaloupe while peppering my eggs, and it tasted fine. So who knows?!

:)Barbara

My rule is if you like it use it.
Anyway, I think it is best added freshly ground and after the dish is cooked.
I just leave the pepper grinder on the table and everybody can add as much as they want.

Mel

Back
Top Bottom