Favorite spice or herb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rr, I don't know what the price is at the grocery store. When I start running low, I try to find a way to either get to Penzeys or look for free shipping no matter how small the order. I get them by the bag - $4.29 for a 3/4 cup bag. And that bag lasts me a goodly amount of time.

Penzeys Chives

I will definitely have to look into that. I seriously couldn't deal with shelling out $8 for a little jar of chives that I'd use up in a month. Thank you!

rr, if you sign up for their emails, you get a notice whenever they have free shipping or some other special. And they give away a spice or two practically every month. They do, however, seem to send out a lot of emails. :wacko: I'll put up with that because FREE is good!

rr, if you sign up for their emails, you get a notice whenever they have free shipping or some other special. And they give away a spice or two practically every month. They do, however, seem to send out a lot of emails. :wacko: I'll put up with that because FREE is good!

They always offer free shipping on an order of at least $29.95, but sometimes they lower it to $20, which is promoted in the emails. A couple weeks ago, I ordered more mustard seeds (brown and yellow) for making homemade mustard, along with sate seasoning to bring the total to just over $20.

Their special offer was two small jars of Pie Spice for a minimum $5 purchase, plus they included a sample of Pasta Sprinkle, and I got free shipping. Six items for a total of just under $23 (including tax) :clap:

Last edited:
I always seem to be buying Cumin...that must be my favorite.

I found great prices on spices at Jet.com...

I always seem to be buying Cumin...that must be my favorite.

I found great prices on spices at Jet.com...

If you have any asian markets near you, they usually have bags of cumin seed in pretty good size quantities at a pretty decent price (at least the ones around here)...

I've an abundance of garlic, dried, chopped/olive oil frozen, fresh.......chives are coming up in the pots out back just now.
I chop handfuls of chives and throw them in the freezer to use over winter. (green goddess dressing last week)

My favorite herb is thyme, in soups and stews (as we come out of winter).

If you have any asian markets near you, they usually have bags of cumin seed in pretty good size quantities at a pretty decent price (at least the ones around here)...

Here too Med. Our Mexican market has a whole rack of spices in cellophane packages, each just over a dollar. I most often buy Mexican Oregano, ground cumin, and otherwise very expensive sesame seeds there.

Next time my parents go to Denver, I'm hitching a ride, there is a big Asian market there. And I don't drive in Denver...

Garlic for sure. I prefer fresh, but Pirate bought a large jar of ready diced garlic in a jar of water. I will use it, but I am not happy about this.

I also buy a mixture of Italian herbs. Rosemary, thyme, oregano, etc. The store I buy it from has the mixture made up exclusively for the store and it has the name of the store on it. I find that it has a good balance. There is no one herb that is over powering the others.

Other than that, it is mostly freshly ground Sea Salt and freshly ground Pepper. I have found that there is a difference in the strength of flavor with the Sea Salt. I have to make sure it has no iodine. I have a thyroid problem and I take meds for it. Doctor's orders. No iodine. :angel:

Garlic for sure. I prefer fresh, but Pirate bought a large jar of ready diced garlic in a jar of water. I will use it, but I am not happy about this.

I have found it necessary to use minced garlic from a jar most of the time. Our only ready source of bulk garlic is Walmart, and their offering is terrible. Most of the time I can dig though the box and not find a single bulb that is whole, and many have rotten cloves. Half the time it's old enough that it starts sprouting before we've had it for a week. We got better raw garlic on our little island in the Bahamas than we get here.

I have found it necessary to use minced garlic from a jar most of the time. Our only ready source of bulk garlic is Walmart, and their offering is terrible. Most of the time I can dig though the box and not find a single bulb that is whole, and many have rotten cloves. Half the time it's old enough that it starts sprouting before we've had it for a week. We got better raw garlic on our little island in the Bahamas than we get here.

I have never used it before, so I am somewhat a little apprehensive about it. Have you ever had a problem with the jar of garlic? I am not one for the harshness of raw garlic. I wanted to use it in the mashed potatoes I made last week. But wasn't sure on how to use the garlic in the jar. I do know I wanted it cooked at least somewhat, but how? In the oven? Would it dry out enough Sautee it first? Again the water problem. So far I have only used it for meat. :angel:

I have never used it before, so I am somewhat a little apprehensive about it. Have you ever had a problem with the jar of garlic? I am not one for the harshness of raw garlic. I wanted to use it in the mashed potatoes I made last week. But wasn't sure on how to use the garlic in the jar. I do know I wanted it cooked at least somewhat, but how? In the oven? Would it dry out enough Sautee it first? Again the water problem. So far I have only used it for meat. :angel:

Addie, next time, get the minced garlic in oil. The garlic in water will spatter when you add it to a hot pan with oil to cook it with some onion, etc.

I use it just as I would if I'd chopped it fresh. Just the other day I added it to some mushrooms that I was sautéing with no problems. What little water was with it cooked away quickly.

I use it just as I would if I'd chopped it fresh. Just the other day I added it to some mushrooms that I was sautéing with no problems. What little water was with it cooked away quickly.

Thanks RP. I have a child's play strainer. (my kitchen helper grandchild) I could put the garlic in that to drain before I add it to the pan. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom