Flavored Salts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great (or grate) idea, Kay. A friend gave me a chunk of Himalayan pink salt, I can't figure out what to do with it. I bashed it with a hammer, tried a microplane grater, and all that came off was a couple flakes. Hard as a rock. Wonder if a spice grinder would work. No trip to TJ's in the near future, but I'm adding those spice mills to my list for future.

:ROFLMAO: I see what you did there ;) even if it was unintentional :LOL:

Ummm...Dawg, are you sure your chunk isn't chunk intended to use to cook on or use to serve cold dishes? A chunk for cooking on is on my list.

Ummm...Dawg, are you sure your chunk isn't chunk intended to use to cook on or use to serve cold dishes? A chunk for cooking on is on my list.

I could cook an olive, maybe a small shrimp on it. It's about 1 1/2 inches by 3/4 inch thick.

Last edited:
Great (or grate) idea, Kay. A friend gave me a chunk of Himalayan pink salt, I can't figure out what to do with it. I bashed it with a hammer, tried a microplane grater, and all that came off was a couple flakes. Hard as a rock. Wonder if a spice grinder would work. No trip to TJ's in the near future, but I'm adding those spice mills to my list for future.

Oh, don't smash up the Himalayan salt block!

I was watching a Chef John video and he heated the salt block up and then put some shrimp on it to cook.

Food Wishes Video Recipes: Shrimp Cooked on Himalayan Pink Salt – I Sherpa Hope You Like It!

I have kosher salt I use a lot of, for salt roasted potatoes and salt roasted chicken. I got regular sea salt but I never use that, so I'm going to give it to a friend. Otherwise, I'd love to get some more salts, but I don't know what I would use them for.

:LOL: I would have to make all my food in one inch pieces and cook the pieces one at a time, as that would be all that could fit on my tiny salt block.

I have kosher salt I use a lot of, for salt roasted potatoes and salt roasted chicken. I got regular sea salt but I never use that, so I'm going to give it to a friend. Otherwise, I'd love to get some more salts, but I don't know what I would use them for.

I shared this page with a friend recently after we were talking about salts at lunch: http://food52.com/blog/3377-10-salts-to-know

I love the salt cellars on the page, too.

GG, I took a look at this link and the following statement jumped out at me,

" Himalayan salt is rich in minerals and believed to be one of the purest salts available"

Not sure it can be both.

Yes, I saw that, too. Lots of people ascribe more qualities to a thing than they actually have ;)

I like the page for the suggestions of how to use the different salts.

Back
Top Bottom