Horseradish powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I can almost never find fresh horseradish around here. I would like to try horseradish powder. Have you used it?

Any tips? Anything special I should check for when buying it on the web? Is there a brand you would recommend?

"Raises hand"

Wasabi is a specific kind of horseradish. It is expensive and hard to find. If you order 'wasabi horseradish powder' from amazon, you will get a mixture of regular horseradish powder with mustard seed powder. I use to to make the fake wasabi paste for sushi.

It would also work in a horseradish cream sauce.

"Raises hand"

Wasabi is a specific kind of horseradish. It is expensive and hard to find. If you order 'wasabi horseradish powder' from amazon, you will get a mixture of regular horseradish powder with mustard seed powder. I use to to make the fake wasabi paste for sushi.

It would also work in a horseradish cream sauce.

Thanks for the info. Doesn't it also have green colouring? I'm just looking for regular horseradish for a variety of recipes, mostly Danish ones.

yes: Horseradish, mustard, corn starch, ascorbic acid, (for color retention), artificial color (FD&C yellow #5, FD&C blue #1), citric acid

Is there anything in it other than horseradish? I can get that one at Amazon.ca. Then I avoid customs and customs brokers. It costs about the same, but the shipping is about twice as much as the product. I should check if there are other Penzey's spices that could be shipped at the same time.

Nope, it's 100% ground horseradish. This is another spice source I like a lot, and it's free shipping, although I don't know if that's to Canada.
https://www.myspicesage.com/horsera...MI__C6m5fR4gIVhq_sCh1mmQV-EAAYASAAEgIa4PD_BwE

Hey, let's make some Bloody Mary's with it!!

https://www.myspicesage.com/recipe/index/index/id/1651

Last edited:
Nope, it's 100% ground horseradish. This is another spice source I like a lot, and it's free shipping, although I don't know if that's to Canada.
https://www.myspicesage.com/horsera...MI__C6m5fR4gIVhq_sCh1mmQV-EAAYASAAEgIa4PD_BwE

Hey, let's make some Bloody Mary's with it!!

https://www.myspicesage.com/recipe/index/index/id/1651
My Spice Sage doesn't ship to Puerto Rico or outside the US. Oh well. Thanks for the info on the Penzey's single ingredient.

I will need to find a recipe for something similar to a bloody Mary that doesn't have tomato. I had 3 or 4 grape tomatoes yesterday and today my body is gently saying I shouldn't have eaten them. BTW, have you ever tried a bloody Caesar? Same thing as a bloody Mary, but using clamato instead of tomato juice. They are really nice. Or a bloody Maria? Same thing as a bloody Mary, but tequila instead of vodka.

Oops, I was confused on the Penzey's price at Amazon.ca. It's over CAD20 for2.2 oz and even more in shipping. The one I was confusing it with was a different company. A 4 oz bag of horseradish powder for CAD 19.86 with the shipping. That is starting to sound more reasonable. That's USD 14.74.

I got some from Penzey’s quite a while ago. Of course I can't find it right now. It was quite useful, I used it in Caesars and to add a nice zip to pot roast, etc. I prefer fresh horseradish, but the powder is a decent substitute.

If you look up seed catalogs, they sell either seed or the root, you can plant your own.
If you don't have space to plant it in the ground you can do them in pots. A lot of good articles out there on growing horseradish, care, and harvesting it. Here is one link to growing it in a container that might help you out. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/horseradish/horseradish-care-in-pots.htm

I thought about that, but decided against it. I just can't count on having the energy these days.

I got some from Penzey’s quite a while ago. Of course I can't find it right now. It was quite useful, I used it in Caesars and to add a nice zip to pot roast, etc. I prefer fresh horseradish, but the powder is a decent substitute.

Fresh is nice, but the only store I could find it in got flooded a couple of years ago and I haven't found another source in my general area. Also, right now I am doing almost all my shopping online and none of the grocery stores that deliver have it. The place with my produce baskets doesn't have it.

Fresh is nice, but the only store I could find it in got flooded a couple of years ago and I haven't found another source in my general area. Also, right now I am doing almost all my shopping online and none of the grocery stores that deliver have it. The place with my produce baskets doesn't have it.

The Kroger stores near me have it. Have you tried asking the produce manager or store manager? My experience is that if a big chain produce manager wants to stock something for you he can. Big if though.

The Kroger stores near me have it. Have you tried asking the produce manager or store manager? My experience is that if a big chain produce manager wants to stock something for you he can. Big if though.

I didn't use horseradish much when I could get it fresh. Most places don't want to special order for someone who is only likely to buy it once or twice a year. If I lived in town, I could get it from a small green grocer. You can tell them that you would like a piece and would they please get you some next time they are at the wholesaler. That doesn't really work in chain supermarkets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom