It Tastes Like What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kb0000

Washing Up
Now that I have two examples, its time to bring this up:

My Example: After years of careful taste comparisons, I say with confidence that parsley tastes exactly like dead grass or dried basil. I ate some dead grass to be sure.
This only applies to Curly Parsley, the standard cooking parsley. Italian parsley has a real taste.

Example #2
As to what I prefer to drink with Pizza, it's ice cold Beer.
I'm not real picky about it, except for Budweiser It tastes and smells of formaldehyde to me ...

Anyone else notice things that don’t taste like they should?

I know that, to some people, cilantro tastes like soap. The issue is genetic.

When I was creating recipes at Amoretti, if there were people who perceived the soapy taste of cilantro, I would substitute another herb called epazote. It tastes a lot like like kerosine, but at least you don't feel like your mother just heard you say a bad word!

I have only tasted fresh grass. Haven't done that in many years. They had different flavours. I find that curly parsley has its own flavour, but not as much as flat leafed parsley. If I have to chop a lot of parsley by hand, I find it a lot quicker with the curly one. My tabbouleh made with curly parsley has plenty of parsley flavour. But, I haven't made it in several years, since I'm the only one who likes it.

My first question is how does Kaneohegirlinaz know what formaldehyde tastes like?:huh::LOL:

:ermm::LOL::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Roch, `member the first time you had to dissect a Frog in Science class?
For me, the aroma of formaldehyde was so absolutely heavy in that small, hot classroom, with something like 35 kids at their work benches, trying not to hurl ... the smell was so heady, you could "taste" it. That smell was stuck in your nose for days!
:yuk:
but I persevered!

And as to Cilantro, when we lived in Hawaii we had what was called Chinese Parsley, which my husband and I thought tasted like soap.
BUT, here in the continental USA, they have Cilantro, not so bad in small quantities, to either of us :wacko: Dunno why, they're both from the Coriander family of herbs, but ...

:ermm::LOL::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Roch, `member the first time you had to dissect a Frog in Science class?
For me, the aroma of formaldehyde was so absolutely heavy in that small, hot classroom, with something like 35 kids at their work benches, trying not to hurl ... the smell was so heady, you could "taste" it. That smell was stuck in your nose for days!
:yuk:
but I persevered!

And as to Cilantro, when we lived in Hawaii we had what was called Chinese Parsley, which my husband and I thought tasted like soap.
BUT, here in the continental USA, they have Cilantro, not so bad in small quantities, to either of us :wacko: Dunno why, they're both from the Coriander family of herbs, but ...

Pun intended?

I always compared Dried Parsley to hamster food or the dried alfalfa that I used to feed my rabbit. Some Herbs can be dried successfully, others should just be used fresh. And parsley is one that should always be used fresh ( in my opinion). I usually use the Italian parsley and I prefer growing that variety in the garden cause less places for the bugs to hide. I do prefer th Curley when making tabouleh or things like that, cause the curliness kinda helps fluff things up bit. I done notice a taste difference.

I always compared Dried Parsley to hamster food or the dried alfalfa that I used to feed my rabbit. Some Herbs can be dried successfully, others should just be used fresh. And parsley is one that should always be used fresh ( in my opinion). I usually use the Italian parsley and I prefer growing that variety in the garden cause less places for the bugs to hide. I do prefer th Curley when making tabouleh or things like that, cause the curliness kinda helps fluff things up bit. I done notice a taste difference.

I've never had either hamster food or dried alfalfa so I'll take your word for it. no question dried parsley is a less flavorful item than fresh. At least you get the little green specks in the food.

Now that I have two examples, its time to bring this up:

My Example: After years of careful taste comparisons, I say with confidence that parsley tastes exactly like dead grass or dried basil. I ate some dead grass to be sure.

This only applies to Curly Parsley, the standard cooking parsley. Italian parsley has a real taste.
Are you talking about fresh or dried parsley? Dried parsley has very little flavor, but fresh parsley is very good.

I don't often use a lot of parsley, so I often put some of it in the freezer. It's only good for some stuff that way, but far more flavour than dried parsley. When I freeze it, I make sure it's ready to use. Then I tie an elastic around the stems and roll it tightly in a plastic bag. When I want to use some, I just cut some off the top, without defrosting it, and then stick the rest back in the bag as before.

Back
Top Bottom