Keeping cilantro fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
I'm one of those people who loves cilantro but buying it in the market and then keeping it fresh in the fridge is sometimes a problem if I don't use the entire bunch.

What do others do to help keep their cilantro fresh?

I use a tall yogurt container and put about an inch or two of water in it. I place the cilantro roots in the water then use the food grade bag to cover the leaves and then use the elastic to put around the bag and yogurt container. This creates a bit of a hydroponic greenhouse. It goes in the bottom shelf of the fridge door..

It lasts for a couple of weeks this way. When I remember, I change the water and weed out any dying or rotting stalks/leaves...Crude set up but effective.

Here is my parsley. I bought this stuff about two weeks ago.

Attachments

• DSC01994.jpg
    DSC01994.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies---- and I did do that a couple of times until I knocked the container over! I'm sure your fridge is not as cluttered as mine and I'm a klutz! (grin)

I keep mine in the original produce bag in the crisper drawer in the fridge. It usually lasts for quite a while, though sometimes I forget it's in there and end up with a brown, slimy mess.

Has anyone chopped the tops off and planted the roots with success? I have a bunch of fresh cilantro in a jar right now with a baggie over it...wondering why I can't pot the roots in one of my herb pots...

Has anyone chopped the tops off and planted the roots with success? I have a bunch of fresh cilantro in a jar right now with a baggie over it...wondering why I can't pot the roots in one of my herb pots...

As an experienced Cilantro Farmer :) I can tell you that cilantro does NOT like to be transplanted or messed about with in any way.

I used to grow my own cilantro. Although fairly easy to grow in milder/cooler temps it will bolt (grow tall and go to seed) at the drop of a hat. I always cringe when I see nurseries offer seedlings of cilantro for sale.

I use a tall yogurt container and put about an inch or two of water in it. I place the cilantro roots in the water then use the food grade bag to cover the leaves and then use the elastic to put around the bag and yogurt container. This creates a bit of a hydroponic greenhouse. It goes in the bottom shelf of the fridge door..

It lasts for a couple of weeks this way. When I remember, I change the water and weed out any dying or rotting stalks/leaves...Crude set up but effective.

Here is my parsley. I bought this stuff about two weeks ago.

Roots? We don't get the roots here. Only the stems and leaves.

I rarely get roots on my store bought cilantro. But many Thai/Chinese markets will sell them like that because some Thai etc. recipes call for the roots. Maybe their cilantro is slightly different than what we get in the States.

We usually get roots. Stems work the same way. though. I put mine in the door because the rail stops the container from tipping over...

This is one reason I love this forum. I can go on endlessly about storing cilantro and people actually listen...lol

Last edited:
We usually get roots. Stems work the same way. though. I put mine in the door because the rail stops the container from tipping over...

This is one reason I love this forum. I can go on endlessly about storing cilantro and people actually listen...lol

Please do 'the endless thing'.;) I may not comment on all the posts here at DC but I read almost all of them------ and learn something new every day.

And, yeah, I never thought about the door! With maybe some large CLEAN rocks or marbles in the bottom so I can't tip it over.

I find the elastic helps prevent the bag from coming loose, sticking out and getting caught on everything.:LOL:

I put mine in the back of the fridge behind almost everything else, so it doesn't come loose.

Thanks for the replies---- and I did do that a couple of times until I knocked the container over! I'm sure your fridge is not as cluttered as mine and I'm a klutz! (grin)

Mine is pretty full most of the time, but as I said above, I put it in the back between other items that I don't use very often, so it stays put.

The door is a good idea, though. That also makes it more visible; there have certainly been times that I forgot it was back there until it was too late! :LOL:

I bought a small plant that was labelled "coriander". Maybe it's slightly different if it's more for the seeds than for the leaves. The leaves did taste like cilantro, but didn't get used because I don't like cilantro. I got lots of seeds and had volunteer coriander for a few years.

I bought a small plant that was labelled "coriander". Maybe it's slightly different if it's more for the seeds than for the leaves. The leaves did taste like cilantro, but didn't get used because I don't like cilantro. I got lots of seeds and had volunteer coriander for a few years.

Sometimes cilantro gets mis-labled (to my mind) as coriander in nurseries.
Coriander is the fresh leaves and if you let the plant flower and go to seed---- you get coriander seed. Which is what you seem to have done.

In some places I've even seen it labeled Mexican Parsley!!!

According to what I just learned on the Internet, the roots can be wrapped and frozen for up to two months. Guess that's what I'll do with the roots.

Sometimes cilantro gets mis-labled (to my mind) as coriander in nurseries.
Coriander is the fresh leaves and if you let the plant flower and go to seed---- you get coriander seed. Which is what you seem to have done.

In some places I've even seen it labeled Mexican Parsley!!!

Actually, the leaves are cilantro and the seeds are coriander. For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom