Lemon Balm recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsBench

Assistant Cook
I just recently decided to grow Lemon Balm this year, but I'm not really sure of many recipes with it. I figured I could make some nice tea, but other than that I was hoping to find some savory recipes that include it. I was thinking maybe a pasta recipe or a chicken recipe. Any ideas on how to use it outside of the beverage and ice world?

I have a huge pot of Lemon Balm still growing form last year. I'd love some recipes for it.

I'll look around for a tea bread recipe I have somewhere for it, but it's definitely at the bottom of my list for culinary use. I find its scent a dead ringer for lemon-scented furniture polish. In fact, there are, I believe, recipes for using it to polish furniture - lol!

For lemon-scented cooking herbs, I much prefer Lemon Thyme & Lemon Verbena.

Not re: cooking but re: growing Lemon Balm - when it blooms, make SURE you deadhead it religiously, as it self-sows with a vengeance & can become invasive.

I've always read that it loses it's flavor when cooked. I can't remember the exact flavor of it (how sweet it is?), I haven't grown it in 20 years, but you might like it in salads or salad dressings. I suppose you could make a pesto, of sorts, with it and toss with pasta right before serving or drizzle the pesto over vegetables or fish. Torn leaves might be good in spring rolls, - the kind made with rice paper not the fried kind. Or use in fruit salad.

Lemon Thyme is extremely sweet to me and I pretty much only use it in salad dressings. I can't stand that one with fish or pasta. So, let the sweetness be your guide.

When I cannot get lemon grass or kaffir lime leaves, I use lemon balm in southeast Asian dishes. You can never have too many fresh herbs in Vietnamese and Thai dishes.

@ Claire, Yes, you are right! ^_^ there is a lot of lemon balm in SE Asian dishes :) I'm impressed that you know that. I've only seen it used in Thailand, not "American Thai" food :) Have you been to Asia, or did you find a really authentic recipe?
So yeah, it's REALLY good in many Thai soups :)

No, I've never been to Thailand or any other part of Southeast Asia. I did live in Hawaii for years and just loved the fresh-herb-heavy Thai, Cambodian, and Vietnamese restaurants there. I've always had great herb gardens, I just cannot imagine many of these dishes without a lot of mint, parsley, cilantro, etc. Lemon balm just goes great with these dishes. I agree that in American restaurants, even those owned by and/or have chefs from those countries, they don't use as many fresh herbs as the restaurants in Hawaii did (does that make any sense?).

When I make a SE Asian-style soup (no, I do not use authentic recipes, just go by taste) or bun or chop chae (OK, we're not in SEA any more, but Korea), or roll-your-own summer rolls, I sometimes, if it is the season, just take stems of fresh herbs, freshen in cold water, and put on a plate and have everyone tear off what they want to shred into their own dish.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Hawaii is much closer to Asia than FL ;) That's a really neat idea with the soup ^_^ I'm gonna try that sometime! Thanks.

I would put it in tea but maybe that's just me. I also used it a little in asian dishes such as shrimp soup which I think maybe the best use of it as it is not a light herb but sort of musky if that makes sense.

I finally gave up growing it as it took over the entire garden and we spent considerable time digging it out. Not worth the trouble; this was also mentioned up thread. It is a serious concern..

"Musky" is a nice way of putting it - lol! To me it smells like Lemon Pledge furniture polish. In fact, there are some herbals that recommend using it for just that purpose.

I think aromatic might be the correct term? Not sure, probably my herb book describes it better. .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom