Making garlic salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always buy certified organic garlic. It's usually from California. I won't buy garlic from China. Though the article was interesting, I dislike the implication that small, family farms can't produce safe food.

And as to irradiated food, I don't believe it's harmful. I still don't want it. I don't trust producers, packagers, manufacturers. If they irradiate food, which will kill all the micro-organisms, they will get sloppier with our food. I don't care if the rodent droppings are microbe free; I don't want to eat poop.

+1

I actually happen to love garlic salt. I buy a big container from Sam's club it ususaly last me a long time. I don't think you can get it any cheapper than that.

I too love garlic salt, we have it as well as minced garlic on garlic bread :yum:

Considering it takes about a minute to grind the dehydrated garlic in my spice mill and about 2 minutes to set up the dehydrator with the peeled garlic in it, the labour costs are difficult to calculate. The same argument could be made for making homemade fudge vs. buying fudge or bread from scratch vs. buying bread. I believe the OP was looking at saving $ by blending spices/herbs at home. I have all the spices and herbs needed to make a variety of blends. It doesn't take a lot of time to whip up a batch of taco seasoning or curry powder. It makes sense to me from the "control of what is in the blend" perspective. I make all kinds of other things from scratch, why not blend my own spices? I can control the intensity of the "hot" factor, salt content (or leave it out), quality of ingredients...there are a whole lot of pluses if one blends one's own spices--I have everything that goes in to the blend, why should I buy it ready-mixed?

I am speaking specifically about garlic powder.

You must source, prep, dehydrate and grind the garlic. Then blend.

Sorry but that makes no sense to me. Penzey's does.

With respect to other blends I can very much understand them.

Jenny, I understand what you are saying. Is your time not worth something, even if it is in the home? I learned many years ago to never give my skills away unless it was for charity or I wanted to. Like for friends. If I am going to spend all that time just to make a dehydrated product, I would want to be paid for the expense of it. I don't see how any money is being saved when it takes electricity or gas to dehydrate the product. The few pennies you are trying to save is going to the utility company. Penny wise, pound foolish? :angel:

If you grow your own garlic or have access to a local source of organic garlic, it makes perfect sense. I have one of Pampered Chef's garlic peelers--peeling garlic is a breeze. Dehydrating is done overnight, and grinding takes just a couple of minutes (if that long). Please remember that not all DCers have easy access to such places as Penzey's or The Spice House. I don't, and I'm not going to pay for the s&h to have it shipped to the nearest US UPS store, pay the $5.50 r/t bridge toll and make the 2-hour drive r/t trip to go down and get it. It is much easier to source, prep, dehydrate, and grind the garlic in my kitchen.

...I'm not going to pay for the s&h to have it shipped to the nearest US UPS store, pay the $5.50 r/t bridge toll and make the 2-hour drive r/t trip to go down and get it...

That would be a lot of cost and effort. It's a shame you don't have access to a local supermarket. That would make it so much easier.

That would be a lot of cost and effort. It's a shame you don't have access to a local supermarket. That would make it so much easier.
There are local supermarkets, but most of the garlic is from China, including the dried product. Besides, I live in the country, so there is the time and gas to go get the product. It is easier to pop the cloves in the dehydrator once or twice a year and make my own. I tend to use fresh garlic (a lot of it) and only use garlic powder if I'm out of fresh garlic.

Back
Top Bottom