Mint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I bought a bunch of mint for the mushroom challenge and it was starting to wilt before I could use it. I cut off the ends and stuck it in a glass of water. Took the leaves off I needed and spaced out on it. Tonight I took a good look and it's grown about 2 inches and it has rooted. Trust me when I say I have a brown thumb...will I be able to plant this out side when it gets warmer? I do have a couple of pots out there I try to grow flowers in off and on. Does mint need shade or sun?

Yes Fi, but plant it in a pot, mint is a right bugger to control it grows better and faster than weeds.

Yes Fi, but plant it in a pot, mint is a right bugger to control it grows better and faster than weeds.

What Bolas said..IN A POT!!!!!! A large one. If it escapes and takes root in your yard you will have a very hard time getting rid of it.

What Bolas said..IN A POT!!!!!! A large one. If it escapes and takes root in your yard you will have a very hard time getting rid of it.

Not my yard, think my landlord would disown me?:) We had the birdseed fiasco a couple of years ago...yard was sure green right there!:ROFLMAO:

I have two pots, one on each side of our window, on the small patch of concrete called a patio. It gets lots of hot sun...I'll just have to remember to water them.:wacko:

Not my yard, think my landlord would disown me?:) We had the birdseed fiasco a couple of years ago...yard was sure green right there!:ROFLMAO:
Ah the old bird seed defence!;) yes your honor I do understand but I am totally innocent, my pet shops is at fault for selling it.

Last edited:
I have my mine in a whiskey barrel under an oak tree in 100% shade and it does great there. Mint is one of the easiest things to grow. It next to impossible to kill.

My grandmother planted one small mint plant outside years ago. It ended up spreading and growing THROUGH a cement stoop. It actually cracked right through the middle and destroyed the stoop.

Plant it in a container and don't give it another thought. Even with your brown thumb you are almost certain to have a big pile of mint in no time even if all you do is plant it and forget about it.

I have my mine in a whiskey barrel under an oak tree in 100% shade and it does great there. Mint is one of the easiest things to grow. It next to impossible to kill.

My grandmother planted one small mint plant outside years ago. It ended up spreading and growing THROUGH a cement stoop. It actually cracked right through the middle and destroyed the stoop.

Plant it in a container and don't give it another thought. Even with your brown thumb you are almost certain to have a big pile of mint in no time even if all you do is plant it and forget about it.

That's why Mom always tries to keep it away from the house. LOL! I have no shady spots, I get full sun all day long, it just switches sides of the building. I'll plant it on the courtyard side, not the parking lot side.

Depending on the pot you may want to keep it off the patio/concrete. If it heats up too much that heat will transfer up to the bottom of the pot and may be too much for the plant's roots. If you have to, raise the pot up off the ground a few inches, that might help. Mint in my experience likes some shade and does not like to have the roots too hot. I have 2 HUGE pots of in here with peppermint, spearmint, and chocolate mint.

All the mint in my garden is from "grocery store" mint. I just trim the ends about 1 inch, plunk the mint in a jar, and wait 6-8 weeks. Once there are roots, I transplant the mint to a pot. I've been doing this for years with "grocery store" mint. And, the mint comes back the next year (perennials).

DSM, when I was last in South Florida we went to a goverment botanical establisment, It was amazing,my kid brother who was with us is a RHS gold medal winner for growing orchids he could not believe it, they had a herb that tasted of dark chocolate, I grow chocolate cosmos, when it sunny the smell of chocolate is very strong

Yep, as soon as its warm enough for planting stick it out there. You get peppermint or spearmint?

I don't know...it's green!:LOL: I believe it is spearmint. I think I may put it out of it's misery early and freeze it for future use. It will roast to death in the sun on the patio and I have no place else to put it outside. I have no yard space or shade to use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom