My Mastic Gum Has No Flavor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTBorton

Assistant Cook
I have been obsessed with experimenting with Mastic gum since I first learned of the spice - but man is it expensive and hard to find!! I picked up my first ounce in an Indian market in Houston. Thrilled and excited, I immediately tried using it in breads and sauces. I also tried making spice blends with it. But it wasn't long before I realized that it was doing essentially nothing to change the flavor. I bit into some of the raw crystals only to find a bland chalky flavor. It was at this point that I realized I had been bamboozled.

So again I set out to search high and low for this mystical spice. I finally decided to try ordering some from a notable online spice supplier, one I use often for other spices, but I had to bite the bullet and buy 4 oz at once (OUCH that was expensive!!). But I was confident in this supplier since I, and many others like me, had proven them many times before. Once my package arrived I promptly chomped down on a mastic crystal hoping to discover what the true flavor should be. Expecting a rich, piney flavor that I had read so much about, I was considerably disappointing to find that yet again it was bland and chalky. Except this time it did have a very faint piney undertone - very faint - suggesting that it could actually be some sort of mastic gum or a relative there of.

So my question is: How strong should the flavor of these crystals be? Mine seem to be very faint, mostly tasteless with a slight touch of pine. Does the flavor improve with grinding our cooking? How much of it do I have to use to make an impact on flavor?

I have no experience with it but the reading I just did seemed to indicate it would not be a strong flavor.

At $18.00 an oz and the mild, bitter, woody flavor I don't see why you would expect much of such a spice.

Back
Top Bottom