Need help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruffsta

Cook
I have an All Purpose spice blend that I will be selling in the grocery store I work at as well as an Indian restaurant - where you pick a seasoning from a shelf.. which you can also purchase a bottle if you liked the seasoning.

My thing is this.. i can make a batch, break it down to bottles and i know my suggested serving size is 1/4 tsp per serving.. i know how many ounces the bottle is and how many bottles I can get out of a batch... but the only thing standing in my way of printing my labels is the nutritional facts per bottle.. but my blend is fine so, a 1/4 tsp doesn't make a gram.. so i don't know how to plug in the info when creating a bottle nutrition fact label..

can someone please help?

Last edited:
Determine the total weight of the entire batch of blended spices. Calculate the nutritional facts for that amount.

Determine how many ¼ tsp there are in a batch and divide the nutritional info for the batch by the number of ¼ tsps. Viola!

Contact your local Health department. Tell them what you´re making and I´m sure they´ll point you in the right direction.

Andy,

i'm originally from MA.. nice to meet ya!

741.46 grams - total batch size

in that batch, there is 144 grams of salt..

the batch creates 26.15 ounces.. divided by 3oz = 8.72 bottles

each bottle is 3oz (84g).. each serving size is 1/4 tsp per serving... there is 120 servings per bottle..

so how in the hell do you figure the salt in 120 1/4tsp servings?

see what i'm what i'm getting at? a 1/4 tsp isn't that big.. so to figure out how much salt and/or sugar is in that tiny measurement is just insane! how do create a nutrtional label if basically is at 0%? lol

Sodium is expressed in milligrams on nutritional labels, so convert your grams to mg and go from there. You'll have to look up the other nutrients. I'd check the FDA website.

Last edited:
ok, so i'm lost.. sorry for the stupidity..

144 grams = 144,000mg..

but to divide that.. again, 144g per 741.46 grams of total spice..

741.46 grams - total batch size

in that batch, there is 144 grams of salt..

the batch creates 26.15 ounces.. divided by 3oz = 8.72 bottles

each bottle is 3oz (84g).. each serving size is 1/4 tsp per serving... there is 120 servings per bottle..

i just want to know how much salt is in a 1/4 teaspoon in 3oz with 120 servings - keep in mind the total batch size and total number of bottles... there is no way there can be that much salt/percentage per serving/bottle..

so, i'm still not getting how you come up with a number/percentage

is that like 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 7% - sorry i just don't get it... the math is too messed up for me to calculate..

Last edited:
You need to calculate your amounts in a certain standard, that being amount by volume, or weight.
There are 28.35 (technically, 28.34952... depending on the significant digit you need in your calculation)
For practical purposes, one quarter ounce is 7 grams. The overage is skim profit for the dealer, er., supplier/manufacturer.

If you want to be very specific, both weigh each amount, and measure in volume by cup or fraction thereof (or whole or fractions of spoons. More confusion).

Or, you can input your recipe into a lot of websites for publication, and they will give you their assumption of nutritional ingredients.

Or, you can send me your secret recipe, and I will give you the answers, and never pass it on. I swear.

Really.

By Grabthar's Hammer.

Last edited:
Or, ypu can send me your secret recipe, and I will give ypu the answets, and never pass it on. I swear.

yea.. no, it's a trade secret passed down from one chef to another with ties to keep it a secret recipe.. and you may want to check your spelling..

Sorry, I have fat fingers. And manners.
I didn't get a chance to correct my typos.

And I can do simple math.

144 gr of salt in a batch that fills 8.72 bottles. Therefore, 144 gr divided by 8.72 = the weight of salt in each bottle. Divide THAT number by 120 servings per bottle to determine how much salt is inch serving. That's just for the salt.

Don't most labels just say 0% when the percentage is too tiny? I imagine that is the rule for anything less than 0.05% and probably for less than 0.5%. There is probably an official cut off / rounding limit. I agree with GotGarlic about checking the FDA website.

On another note...

Do yourself a favor and talk to your insurance agent about what you're doing and how you can protect yourself from liability.

When I have large batches of things, I divide them into storage container sizes, then into serving sizes.
I enter all the ingredients into this free application, make sure to use the listing for the item that has the database you want to use, as the source. You'll understand when you try it.
It's https://cronometer.com/
It's for people's diets but works on large amounts. Once you choose your items, adjust the column amounts.

All the sodium and carbs/fats/protein and all vitamins, fiber, lots of things....are below, look below. If you hover over the amount (of anything), it will tell you which ingredients are giving the total amount given. Pay attention to your units/cups/tsps/lbs/grams/mg.

Decide what you want a percentage OF. % by weight/total weight, % of item amount/daily total amount in a nutritionally healthy item (probably), % of calories / total calories.

Another note: you are only using the sodium numbers in the salt. Also consider it is possible to have sodium in other items which is why I say enter ALL your ingredients and amounts to get a correct number.

When you've done that for the batch, then start dividing into bottles/batch, then servings/bottle.

On another note...

Do yourself a favor and talk to your insurance agent about what you're doing and how you can protect yourself from liability.

i have my LLC all set up.. but for this start up spice i am making it under the food cottage law.. it's everyday common spices - that are listed under the FDA list - (https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=182&showFR=1), sugar and salt - which are the only 2 items i have to list.. so i have to figure out this salt and sugar for the nutrition facts part of the label

144 gr of salt in a batch that fills 8.72 bottles. Therefore, 144 gr divided by 8.72 = the weight of salt in each bottle. Divide THAT number by 120 servings per bottle to determine how much salt is inch serving. That's just for the salt.

144 divided by 8.72 = 16.51 - (but i won't be using that .72, that will go into another batch) so i have to focus on just the 8 bottles.. i know i still have to consider that .72 to get the actual answer i am looking for the 8 bottles)

16.51 divided by 120 = 0.14

that still doesn't tell me (example: Sodium 120mg 2%)...

Last edited:
A batch of seasoning, including salt weighs 741.46 grams. (no I did not use the rounded off number, the excess going into the next batch)

144 grams of that is salt (not sodium).

I divide the grams of salt/1046 servings, then I have 144 grams of salt/1046 servings = 0.137 g salt/serving.
Convert the grams of salt to mgs of sodium, multiply 0.137 x 40 to reach 54.8 mg sodium/serving.

Weight of each serving is 741.46 grams/1046 servings=0.708 grams seasoning mix/serving.

Yes get a more exacting scale or weigh one bottles worth and use math to get to the ounces/serving--though your customers probably want it in teaspoons.

Double check the logic, double check the math.
Does that help?

though your customers probably want it in teaspoons.

serving sizes are based on the creator of the spice.. so mine is the general of 1/4 teaspoon is a serving.. just my spice is a light powder.. so, i'm lucky if it even reads 0.01 grams.. but i'm get a true gram scale so we will see..

ie: 1/4 tsp (0.01g) at the top of the nutrition label.. literally it's so fine..

Bottle:
3oz (84g)
120 servings - based at 1/4 tsp (unknown grams atm cause of scale and it being a light powder)

salt per bottle/serving however they do it... ???
sugar per bottle/serving however they do it...??? - (i haven't given any info on this one yet cause i wanna figure out the salt for the nutrition fact label first)

To convert g of salt to mg of sodium, in my exercise, is incorrect.

Look this up, but looking it up again, which I did, is a multiplier of 400 not 40.

The correct amount is still 54.8 mg sodium per serving.

What is your question exactly? How much salt/bottle, or, how much salt per serving? Who is they?

Back
Top Bottom