Oregano types?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's also impossible to get the real Greek oregano from seed. It must be started from cuttings. It's a very hardy perennial, and easy to grow in a pot, as long as you keep it watered.

Here are some interesting Oreganos:

This year we planted some Mexican Oregano that I bought on eBay from a woman who said it washer Abuela's secret ingredient. It was broad-leafed like 1-2 inches and thick and fuzzy like a cactus. Not sure what it really was, it did smell oregano-y. But it died during transplant to the garden.

We also planted (successfully!) "Hot and Spicy Oregano." I thought, 'Right, how hot could it be?" It's HOT! I dropped a sprig in a tomato sauce today and you'd think I had put in chili flakes. Excellent and highly recommended!

I guess I'm not answering the question at all, but the title was "Oregano Types" and I figured someone might appreciate the info!:)

This is "Mexican Oregano"

Epazote

Not really Oregano at all.

I asked because I can buy "bulk" spices at my local grocer. they have "Greek" oregano, but not "Italian". They have a very good "Italian Blend" of spices that I buy often, but I wanted to see what just strait Oregano would taste like on a Chicken...

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Last edited:
Epazote and mexican oregano are not the same, they are two different plants.

Mexican oregano, Lippia graveolens (Verbenaceae)

Epazote, Wormseed, Jesuit's Tea, Mexican Tea, or Herba Sancti Mariæ (Dysphania ambrosioides, formerly Chenopodium ambrosioides)

This is "Mexican Oregano"

Epazote

Not really Oregano at all..

Andy's right. Epazote and Mexican oregano are not the same thing.

Mediterranean oragano (Turkish, Italian Greek ) is part of the mint family, which also includes marjorma and Thyme.

"Mexican" oregano isn't a member of this family (and isn't epazote) but tastes very much like a stronger, somewhat harsher Mediterranean oregano.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom