Which herbs and spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I would like to have a small list of common herbs and spices for different foods. What are the most common herbs and spices for;

-vegetables:

-red meat:

-fish:

-stews, soups and sauces:

like this for example, anyone willing to help? Thanks in advance.

my attempt :

vegetables - depends which vegies :S - mint ( mint peas are good )
red-meat - rosemary, thyme, lots of pepper ( pepper steak mmm )
fish - rosemary
soups - coriander

Unfortunately, this is going to be a very difficult answer for folks to comply with because, like most cooking, herb/spice use is very much due to personal taste preferences. For instance, I LOVE cilantro (the herb) & coriander (the seed of cilantro), yet many folks hate it with a passion. Plus, I do a LOT of ethnic cooking, which opens up an entirely different can of worms herb/spice wise. Basically:

I like marjoram with green beans & carrots; thyme, basil, &/or oregano with tomatoes/tomato dishes, roasted root vegetables, & green salads; fresh flat Italian parsley (the curly variety is worthless except for garnishing in my opinion) on/in nearly everything.

I don't cook red meat except for myself occasionally, & when I do I pretty much just use lots of garlic or curry spices depending on what I'm making.

For most poultry dishes I tend to use thyme, rosemary, & tarragon more than anything else, unless it's a tomato-based stew.

For fish - the sky is pretty much the limit (although I rarely, if ever, use rosemary with fish - see what I mean about personal taste?).

There is absolutely no way whatsoever to give you anything "basic" for "soups, stews, & sauces", because what one uses totally depends on the ingredients of the soup, stew, & sauce. For instance, a classic Bearnaise sauce has wonderful tarragon in it - terrific on steak, salmon, over asparagus, etc. A rustic chicken/artichoke stew most likely will have rosemary in it; a chicken cacciatore will likely have oregano & thyme. These particular herbs meld well with particular recipes. There really isn't any cut & dry "list".

If I were you, I'd simply start experimenting cold turkey & figure out what you like & with what.

There is a great book which a few people on here praise as much I do.

Culinary artistry.

I dont know the author off hand but a quick search on BN.com should yeild it

I like to use the fresh stuff I can grow at home. I'm not a gardener but I do have Rosemary, basil, thyme.... I've even been known to use some apple wood cut from the trees in my back yard. I know it's not a spice or herb but it adds flavor when I BBQ.

I attached this particle board vintage spice chart on my refrigerator with lots of magnetic strips to remind me what spices blend with what foods.

img_755535_0_62ca63daafb9bfa2a2773b9e8bdba0b9.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom