16 Foods That'll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I most definitely will try that. Then when the weather is nice I'll try planting one/two in an outside planter. The problem, my tiny apartment patio is shaded for most of the day---- not deep shade but not full sun, like basil likes but worth a try.

I plant my basil seeds outside in an area that has light shade, they seem to like it.

No roots? What was that white tendril peeking out from one of your pics? Or was that just an optical illusion/reflection/my eyes?

Yes, I guess that's a root. I was expecting to see roots growing out of the bottom of that hard piece. Now that I look at it closer, I see that one long strand and it looks like a few little tendrils are coming out around the top edge of that hard bottom. It's amazing how the sprout is noticeably bigger each morning. It's on my kitchen window sill. It gets light and some sun during the day, but the back of my house is pretty shady because of all the trees.

Can you put up a trellis or pergola to provide a little shade?

Anytime I have tried to make it nice outside the neighbors have destroyed it or stolen our furniture. We've been here for 14 years, longer than any other tenant.

Yup, good thing there are parks and walking trails nearby so I can go outside and enjoy the outdoors. It's about time for the Farmer's Market to start up down by the river, I'll be hanging out down there more.

Anytime I have tried to make it nice outside the neighbors have destroyed it or stolen our furniture. We've been here for 14 years, longer than any other tenant.

But, but, but, you live in Canada, the land of the polite, where no one ever locks there doors, and everyone loves Bambi. Are there misplaced New Yorkers living in your apartment complex?:ohmy::LOL:

Now there's some professional stereotyping for you.

Truly, I'm sorry you have such inconsiderate neighbors. Life could be so great if everyone would just behave themselves. I hope you can find a solution to your dilemma. Maybe if Shrek hangs out on the patio, eating ear wax, that'll make the miscreants think twice before messing with your yard.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
But, but, but, you live in Canada, the land of the polite, where no one ever locks there doors, and everyone loves Bambi. Are there misplaced New Yorkers living in your apartment complex?:ohmy::LOL:

Truly, I'm sorry you have such inconsiderate neighbors. Life could be so great if everyone would just behave themselves. I hope you can find a solution to your dilemma. Maybe if Shrek hangs out on the patio, eating ear wax, that'll make the miscreants think twice before messing with your yard.:LOL:

Chief? Since when do I live in Canada? I live in Montana...Missoula is not the wild, polite west...unfortunately. The university students have no manners.

Chief? Since when do I live in Canada? I live in Montana...Missoula is not the wild, polite west...unfortunately. The university students have no manners.

I edited my post to reflect that you live in Montana. Please look at it again. I got just had a moment of brain stupidity:wacko:. Your must have looked at the post just as I posted it. I had it revised almost immediately.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've reclosed and opened several times, it still says Canada...LOL!!! It's okay, as long as they don't think I owe them taxes...

I've reclosed and opened several times, it still says Canada...LOL!!! It's okay, as long as they don't think I owe them taxes...

Here's what the post looks like to me-

But, but, but, you live in Montana, on the border of Canada, the land of the polite, where no one ever locks their doors, and everyone loves Bambi. Are there misplaced New Yorkers living in your apartment complex?:ohmy::LOL:

Oh, isn't Montana the state where Wagyu beef is grown? Do you get it for half price purchasing, maybe a half cow from the rancher? You could ship it to Michigan packed with dry ice. Just sayin'...:LOL:

The Waygu are ranched over by Belgrade, MT. Salt and Pepper (Joey) would have better access. It's on the other side of the Continental Divide from me.

As for keeping Shrek on the patio...thanks for the idea.:devilish:

Chief, it still says "Canada" to me. LOL I was wondering if I was really not paying attention during Geography class!

Ok. Closed and re-opened and now it says Montana. The magic of the internet!

PF, if I live to be 100 (and I really don't want to) I won't understand what people get out of destroying other people's property. My BIL could never sit outside when he lived in the family homestead because of the inconsiderate neighbors.

Last edited:
The last upstairs neighbors threw cigarettes on to my furniture and burned holes in all the cushions. No apologies, no offers to replace the cushions. I gave the frames away to a friend with a backyard.

The last upstairs neighbors threw cigarettes on to my furniture and burned holes in all the cushions. No apologies, no offers to replace the cushions. I gave the frames away to a friend with a backyard.
That sounds like it's just inconsiderate, not intentionally mean.

I have had neighbours come into my yard when I was on vacation to steal. Someone dug up my fall blooming crocuses and someone stole all my solar garden pathway lamps. :wacko: :mad:

That's why I have a covered chain and padlock on my grill. The chain goes through the handle part of the propane tank.

I have had neighbours come into my yard when I was on vacation to steal. Someone dug up my fall blooming crocuses and someone stole all my solar garden pathway lamps.

And that's why I remember oh, so fondly all the years of living on a ranch that was 3 miles away from a paved road.

That and 2 locked farm gates and 2 Dobermans did the trick. Never locked the door to the house (didn't even have a key!) the whole time.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that in the 33 years we've lived here the only vandalism that happened is someone tore my red bows off the mailbox post over the holidays. That was probably just kids. They were gone the day after I put them there. I probably paid $1 each for them.

PF, I hope those neighbors have moved out. They might have been inconsiderate to throw the cigarettes onto your furniture, but when they didn't at least apologize let alone replace them, they became ignorant pigs. If they could afford cigarettes they could afford to replace your cushions.

Last edited:
Anybody else subject to Mailbox Baseball? It's usually playing in rural areas where there are real mailboxes on the road.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwu-NeTH5Q_GxPtCqApaD1N5JUga3t0tCge2ng86bq9YvZ1AMqzg

It usually involves a pick-up truck, a baseball bat and some jerks after a few beers.

No bat involved, but our mailbox has been hit and the post knocked out of the ground twice when our neighbor's party guests have done a couple hit and runs backing out of their driveway, and apparently at very high speed and good distance. Posts were deeply and firmly embedded in concrete, and were thick, solid wood, so their vehicles were also hurting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom