30 lbs of All Blue potatoes left!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmertrish

Assistant Cook
Yeah I can use them, but I would prefer to sell them. What is so scarey about blue potatoes? They are lovely, purplish blue on the outside, blue on the inside. They are fantastic fried, not just "french fries" but also pan fried, oven roasted and grilled. People who have bought them rave about their flavor. Getting customers to try them has been challenging. Maybe I should go with the "Skittles" candy commercial and encourage people to "Taste the Rainbow" lol, just with potatoes!

I think people are conditioned to think that blue foods are not wholesome, since blue on a food typically indicates mold growth (blueberries are a rare exception). It's just not familiar to Americans. That's probably why you usually find blue potatoes mixed with red and white or yellow ones in the grocery store. People can try them without making too much of an investment.

Is there some way you can offer a tasting sample? When I took extra tomatillos to my office, I cut up a few and left them on a plate so people could taste them.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued with the idea of a blue potato. Could you maybe have them on a plate with blue tortilla chips? Maybe fried? Would the blues clash?

Do they make tasty mashed potatoes, or would they be better used in potato salad?

Told you I'm intrigued! Please, tell me more about them.

I have never seen of a blue potato! What does one do of these?

With love,
~Cat

Blue+Final.jpg

This is what these look like.

With love,
~Cat

I have never seen of a blue potato! What does one do of these?

With love,
~Cat

You use them exactly as you would red, yellow or white potatoes - roasted, boiled, fried, etc. They just have a different color and a slightly more earthy flavor.

There are many types of potatoes, just as there are many types of corn and tomatoes. Until recently, the way our food distribution and marketing systems have developed led to grocery stores emphasizing a few varieties because it's easier and less expensive to do that. Heirloom varieties of these vegetables have become more popular lately.

You use them exactly as you would red, yellow or white potatoes - roasted, boiled, fried, etc. They just have a different color and a slightly more earthy flavor.

There are many types of potatoes, just as there are many types of corn and tomatoes. Until recently, the way our food distribution and marketing systems have developed led to grocery stores emphasizing a few varieties because it's easier and less expensive to do that. Heirloom varieties of these vegetables have become more popular lately.

Oh I see! Yes there is blue corn, is that correct? There are those chips made of the blue corn. I have eaten of these and they are good with a nice salsa.

I must tell DA of these blue potatoes! Thank you very much!

With love,
~Cat

Nice site, GG. It made me think of even more questions; like, how come a sweet potato tastes to different than common potatoes. Thanks a bunch GG for the questions you've put in my mind. At least it keeps my mind busy!:LOL:

Peru is known for its potato varietals. I believe they have over 300. The purple/blue seems to be the only one to make it into American main stream grocery stores so far. I think gnocchi made with them would be pretty cool.

Peru is known for its potato varietals. I believe they have over 300. The purple/blue seems to be the only one to make it into American main stream grocery stores so far. I think gnocchi made with them would be pretty cool.

Yes, we used to have a Peruvian restaurant near us, but it closed. They put some huge corn kernels on their ceviche platter, as well as interesting potatoes. I guess not enough people liked it, though. I miss it.

Thanks guys, I think I may have to cook up a batch a blue chips. I just assumed that nutritionists promote eating foods of all colors would include potatoes. [I have never seen of a blue potato! What does one do of these?

With love,
~Cat] A lot depends on the starch content. Blue potatoes are low in starch, so they are better boiled, roasted and used in salads. I love to grow "specialty" vegetables for our market. This year I grew, Early Ohio, a white heirloom, Adirondack red, an all red potato, Austrian Crescent, a fingerling, French fingerling, a beautiful pink and yellow fingerling, and the All Blue. Lol They call me the "potato lady" at the market, because I love to grow unusual varieties. I just think our retail grocery store are denying us all wonderful diversity. Here's a link that talks about how diverse our food really is: [http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/06/0610_020610_potato.html] For those of you who love to grow your own food this is a link to one of our suppliers. The website may be down for now, but after January, they'll start taking orders. You can grow your own beautiful potatoes! [http://www.potatogarden.com/index.html] Happy growing, harvesting and eating!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom