Anyone else growing lemongrass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I was just reading Harry's spicy pork ball rendang recipe and wondered whether anyone else is growing lemongrass, since it can be expensive and difficult to find.

I bought a small plant about 4 years ago and it's now about 4 feet tall. The leaves are starting to brown, so it's almost time to harvest. I'll pull out a bunch of the roots and freeze them, and continue pulling out the leaves as they brown during the winter. In late winter, we'll cut it back and start over again :) It's not invasive and makes a nice herb garden plant.

Anyone else?

Attachments

• lemongrass-2012.jpg
    lemongrass-2012.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 278
I was just reading Harry's spicy pork ball rendang recipe and wondered whether anyone else is growing lemongrass, since it can be expensive and difficult to find.

I bought a small plant about 4 years ago and it's now about 4 feet tall. The leaves are starting to brown, so it's almost time to harvest. I'll pull out a bunch of the roots and freeze them, and continue pulling out the leaves as they brown during the winter. In late winter, we'll cut it back and start over again :) It's not invasive and makes a nice herb garden plant.

Anyone else?

Does it need a lot of sun?

Someof the asian markets around here sell it for dirt cheap, so Im lucky.

But I did grow some lemongrass a few years back and got so much of it I still have some in the freezer.

Though I have no problem finding lemongrass in the grocery store, I have not found it at the garden stores in the past 2 years. I'd like to grow it again.\

Youre right that its a pretty garden plant.

Ms

Does it need a lot of sun?

Yes, it does. It should be getting more sun than it's getting in our garden, but it's still doing pretty well. We had no idea the bay tree would grow to 20 feet! I actually suggested to DH that we cut it down this fall - there's a lifetime's worth of bay leaves on it and it's shading the rest of my herbs too much.

That's really cool, GG! I wonder if it would survive in Zone 5.

That's really cool, GG! I wonder if it would survive in Zone 5.

Have I ever told you your little beagler is adorable? I've had 2 of those scamps.

Not sure where zone 5 is but mine did survive a mild winter in Boston.

But the other times I've grown it I harvested and froze it in October.

jennyema said:
Have I ever told you your little beagler is adorable? I've had 2 of those scamps.

Not sure where zone 5 is but mine did survive a mild winter in Boston.

But the other times I've grown it I harvested and froze it in October.

Thanks! Your dawg is adorable too!

Will give it a try if I can find it. I think Boston is Zone 6.

That's a really nice looking plant GG! My first experience cooking with it was recently in Hawaii, where we had a condo and a nice kitchen with some growing outside the door. When I returned home, I planted some in a pot and it's doing well on the patio. I'd like to use it more. Would you care to share a recipe?

I grow lemongrass and kaffir lime in pots. You need a sunny location and plenty of water. Indoors in winter.

Both are excellent plants. Lemongrass roots if you stick as stalk in water. Lime not so much.

Ms

That's a really nice looking plant GG! My first experience cooking with it was recently in Hawaii, where we had a condo and a nice kitchen with some growing outside the door. When I returned home, I planted some in a pot and it's doing well on the patio. I'd like to use it more. Would you care to share a recipe?

I knew someone would ask that ;) I'll try to remember what I put in the Thai curry I made the other day. You know, a little of this , a little of that ... I'll post at least a list of ingredients tomorrow.

Anyone else?
what?anyone else grow lemongrass or reads my recipe's:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!so you're the one GG!
lemongrass is easy to get here & not too expensive either...usually about £1.50 for three stems from the supermarket but they are tidgy compared to the big boys you see on asian cookery programmes.they are thai imports so i'm guessing not easy to grow in the uk?i am going to try some in bolas's greenhouse next year & i don't think it'll get too big in the first year so could overwinter indoors maybe?i suppose it's ok being available/cheapish in the shops but,as with the spuds,onions,garlic & toms etc that we grow ourselves there's a world of difference between home grown & shop bought.
i've read it's also very good for you so that's another reason to grow/eat more

Anyone else?

That looks good GG :)

I grew lemon grass in both warm places I lived (Hawaii and Florida). Ironically, of course, it was readily available in stores in Hawaii and not hard to find in Florida. Then I moved here and forget finding it in stores. One of my DC buddies a few years back sent me some (and some kaffir lime leaves as well)! I found some seeds for the lemon grass, and grew quite a pot ... a huge pot ... (Park Seed) to the point where I divided it and gave it away to like minded cuilinary gardeners. Eventually I got tired of it, and it died! (It's too cold in winter for it to live outside and I had to drag it in and out of the house and it would over-grow the pot so quickly I had a hard time keeping up with it!). So I make do with lemon & lime juice and rind (depending on what I'm looking for). I'd love to try a potted Kaffir lime tree, though (again, had one in Hawaii), just for the fun of it.

I have a lemongrass plant outside--not really sure whether I am going to try to overwinter it or not.

I don't like the plant because the leaves seem to be kind of sharp--like they would slice your skin if you were careless. I AM careless, and I hate to bleed. :ohmy:

I have a lemongrass plant outside--not really sure whether I am going to try to overwinter it or not.

I don't like the plant because the leaves seem to be kind of sharp--like they would slice your skin if you were careless. I AM careless, and I hate to bleed. :ohmy:
Those sharp leaves make good skewers, particularly for shrimp. Use the green ones, let soak for a while. Imparts a nice flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom