Aren't these cool!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
These are Everglades tomatoes. They are native to Florida, grow like weeds and taste great.

36788-albums318-picture5907.jpg

Karen discovered these and found a place to get seeds. The single large pot it started in couldn't contain it. Now it is like a bush 3' tall and 6' long. There are at least 150 tomatoes in various stages of growth and blossoms everywhere.:ohmy:

Costco was featuring a "mini medley" of tomatoes - a clam shell container with cherry, grape, pear, mini heirloom and orange cherry tomatoes (their descriptions). Would have been great to find some of these babies in there too.

To my knowledge, they are not commercially available.:(

They remind me of Sweeties, which I grew for several years with free seeds from a garden book club. Prolific and delicious! There's something about cherry toms, yum!

Cool name for those babies.

I think about the closest we have around here are "grape' tomatoes. They sell several organic brands at var stores. Can you believe there is a big enough market these days to have competing organics side by side. Tasty and available all year.

The last several years I grow at least one plant and I simply enjoy snacks direct to mouth when working in the garden or sitting around the back yard. The trouble is, whether I buy a pretty good size plant or grow a younger one, they don't begin to provide ripened tomatoes until mid late summer. About the same time as regular tomatoes.

I usually call 'em all "baby tomatoes" without further complicating my life up with details. Now when it comes to Tomatoes in real time, one Needs to be Specific about choosing and buying the best tomatoes one can find.

I like cherry tomatoes because they taste like real, ripened on the vine tomatoes, with just the right amount of acidity. I'm not fond of sweet tomatoes. I like mine to bite a little. Cherry tomatoes do that, with a complex and rich flavor.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh I bet those are good! :ohmy: I'm pretty sure I'd eat them like candy. :yum:
We just have grape tomatoes as the smallest, and I love them. Wish I could find some of those little morsels in your pic!

These supposedly will grow and produce year round, even when it gets really hot here. Guess we'll see.

They took forever to get going. Sprouted, then took forever to get to a size like you'd buy in Home Depot or Lowes, then all of sudden "BOOM," off and growing everywhere.

These supposedly will grow and produce year round, even when it gets really hot here. Guess we'll see.

They took forever to get going. Sprouted, then took forever to get to a size like you'd buy in Home Depot or Lowes, then all of sudden "BOOM," off and growing everywhere.

Once they get some leaves, they have to spend some time growing roots, which you can't see, of course. Then they get going :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom