Best Garden vegetables to grow for starters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are the best organic vegetables to grow for starters? Are there any tips I would need to know for winter season?

Well, you would need to know what growing zone you live in (the US has several) ... knowing that you could figure out when you need to do your planting.

There are other considerations ... how much space do you have, are you planting your garden in the ground, raised beds or in containers? What is the soil like ... rocky, clay, sandy? How much sunlight will your garden get each day ... morning, afternoon, full day?

Most vegetables are pretty easy to grow if you do a little planning. Heck, my son recently helped a guy clear some trees on some land next to what used to be a vegetable farm that has been abandoned for a couple of years and there were tons of things growing (tomatoes, eggplants, crookneck squash, spaghetti squash, okra, onions, pumpkins, several kinds of gourds, bell peppers, chili peppers, etc.) without any special care!

IM in new york, and my most predictable, productive crops are string beans, cucumbers , tomatoes and spinach. Everything else is hit or miss, but these do well year after year.

It depends a lot on where you live. I live near Atlanta and have a pretty large city garden (50'X50'). I give most of my stuff away and below are the favorites:

Tomatoes- Home grown tomatoes are fairly easy to grow and offer a lot of flavor. They will produce fruit for a month.

Cantaloupe- This is my favorite. It's tough to tell when there ripe, but they are amazing. You also need a good bit of space.

Broccoli or Brussel Sprouts- These are a fall/spring item here. A lot of flavor and produce for a montyh or two.

Carrots- You need soft soil for carrots. I grow these for my daughters because they think it is amazing to pull on the green leaves and a big orange carrot pops out.

Okra- Grows like a weed down here. You need to pick it almost every day so plant 5 or more plants.

Corn- It takes up a good bit of room, but it is a crowd pleaser.

Spices- I grow cilantro, basil, oregano, parseley, rosemary, and time.

Get a hold of your local Master Gardeners (I think through your local county extension office). They will be able to assist you with determining soil type, and types of vegetables that will do well in your area. Their service is free.
As far as organic goes, they can all be organic, it just depends on what YOU, the gardener, does to them, uses on them, while growing them.

Tomatoes are the biggest beginner vegatable with a plentiful season long harvest.

I would get advice from an experienced gardener from your area to steer you in the right direction.

Another good beginner gardening tip that I just learned this past year was to put old grass clippings on the ground around your vegetables and they produce a "matting" effect. This reduced the amount of weeks I had to pick out of my garden substantially! Good Luck.

i agree with the tomatoe reccomendation. ive had great luck growing chinese snow peas, they grow like weeds and give a bountifull harvest. this is around 20 plants from last years crop.

img_881538_0_57dbb6fd620eee949283759f0e392da1.jpg

Your State University extension office is a great resource and can give you great advice on what suits your region, time, etc. I've just been gardening for a couple years and I call them whenever I have a question.

Tomatoes is best for a fresh gardener because Tomato plants grow in small spaces, bear abundant fruit over 3 or 4 months, and require very little maintenance. I also start planting it at home but il just put in first in a pot .

The selection of varieties of vegetables to grow should be largely influenced by those, which form one's daily fare throughout the season. Vegetables which are seldom purchased-unless it is because of there high price or scarcity-may not profitably be cultivated in the home garden. But in the case of high-priced products, then the home garden demonstrates its economic value as enabling one to indulge in otherwise unattainable luxuries. Plainly, then, one should grow in abundance those things of which most consumption is made. There will be a demand for those vegetables which come earliest in spring-rhubarb, asparagus, radishes, lettuce, and such quick-growing things; and for vegetables which may be stored in the basement to increase the none-too-generous variety of the winter larder potatoes, parsnips, carrots, squash, and the like. Sweet corn, beans, peas, and beets, especially those for early greens, cabbage, cauliflower, and tomatoes, will be indispensable summer products, which must be provided for.

all the squash are easy....the hardest one? hmmmm...I would say for myself in the Pacific Northwest...peppers are the most finicky....really need to baby them as we have humid climate. Greens are a good beginner crop..as are peas.

they didn't use to be troublesome in Houston, TX but growing tomatos esp. in pots, has become a walk over the fire experience...........we have had a such dodgy weather in the past few years that most serious gardeners plant several different varieties in the hopes of yieldingsome fruit........at least the unusual cold spells might have put a damper on the insect pests..........then there is always the race to outsmart the squirrels who want what tomatos are left.......but the basil that tastes delicious with tomatos grows excellent outdoors in and out of pots

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom