Can I do anything with too-dried out garlic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schmidtke5

Assistant Cook
Hello all-- I grow garlic, and last year harvested about 30 bulbs. In past years I've just stored all of the bulbs (unwashed) in my basement until I was ready to use them, even if it wasn't for a year or 14 months or so. I put them in a large drawer so that they were at least spaced out from one another and then just left them. Humidity was really, really high down there-- about 85%, so I'm guessing that's what allowed me to do that. This past year, I started storing heirlooms and other valuable stuff down there (skis, old books, etc), so hooked up a dehumidier to make it less swamp-like. Humidity went down to about 45% with it running. I used to live in the desert where it got REALLY dry, so I didn't figure 45% humidity would dry out the garlic, but it sure did. When I went down to get some today, the bulb I picked out was basically shriveled up and powdery. So I'm definitely kicking myself, and wondering if there's ANYTHING I can do with them at this point. I guess I can just carefully add whatever powder there is to pizza, sauce etc. It certainly doesn't help that I didn't wash the cloves before storing. ..... Since I grew it and don't want to waste it, I'll do anything with it to avoid just composting it. Not optimistic though....

Peel it, chop it, and put it in the freezer. It will re-hydrate and flavor sauces, soups, and gravies just fine. You can even pulverize it in a mortar and pestle, spice grinder, or blender to make your own garlic powder.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom