Chives - New Ideas Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
They are very prolific this year despite the crappy weather. I have used them in tuna and egg dishes, salads and such. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Use them with fresh salmon, trout, shrimp or chicken, add to cream cheese, add to sour cream (for stuffed potatoes or as topping with baked potatoes, etc.), add to roasted potatoes, add to soups, use them in dips...

Last edited:
great in deviled eggs, seafood salads, sprinkled over frsesh sliced tomatoes with evoo and vinegar,cut into sauteed mushrooms potato salad, pasta salad. cut into cream cheese pasty dough, garlic salsa
kadesma:)

Chopped by handfuls, dried in a paper bag and stored for later use! They are excellent in soups and stews.

Great ideas! I use them to replace onions in lots of things, will def try some of these. Never heard of drying them in a paper bag, will have to try it.

Forgot about baked potatoes, may be what's for dinner....

For my very favorite mashed potatoes, cook your potatoes as you normally do for mashed potatoes. Instead of using butter and milk to mash them, use sour cream and chives. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray, put potatoes in the dish, and bake at about 350 for around 20 minutes. :cool::cool::cool:

Barbara L said:
For my very favorite mashed potatoes, cook your potatoes as you normally do for mashed potatoes. Instead of using butter and milk to mash them, use sour cream and chives. Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray, put potatoes in the dish, and bake at about 350 for around 20 minutes. :cool::cool::cool:

Mmmmmmm.:)

Nice. I have tried a recipe just like that but it called for frozen hash brown potatos instead. It needed a longer cooking time also. It wasn't too bad that way.

Here's a yummy recipe for you.

Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce
4 servings
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 large shallots, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup chopped chives, (about 1 bunch)
Preparation
Place chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Season both sides of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow glass baking dish and dredge the chicken in it. Discard the excess flour.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour; stir to coat. Add wine, broth and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil, stirring often.
Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until heated through and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes. Stir in sour cream and mustard until smooth; turn the chicken to coat with the sauce. Stir in chives and serve immediately.
Per serving: 244 calories; 9 g fat

Here's a yummy recipe for you.

Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce
4 servings
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 large shallots, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup chopped chives, (about 1 bunch)
Preparation
Place chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Season both sides of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow glass baking dish and dredge the chicken in it. Discard the excess flour.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour; stir to coat. Add wine, broth and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil, stirring often.
Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until heated through and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes. Stir in sour cream and mustard until smooth; turn the chicken to coat with the sauce. Stir in chives and serve immediately.
Per serving: 244 calories; 9 g fat

This sounds great. I like the fact there's no cream in it - just reduced-fat sour cream. Thanks for posting.

Chopped by handfuls, dried in a paper bag and stored for later use! They are excellent in soups and stews.

Yours must have turned out better than mine dried. I don't recall how I dried them, but, they were more light brown than green and it was unappetizing to look at--so I didn't use them (or taste them).

Now we just harvest everything left on the chives plants in the fall, big handfuls and freeze them whole. When I want some chives during the winter, holding the whole bunch at once, frozen, I snip them off with a scissors.

Use chives to tie individual serving bundles of carrot strips or beans before roasting or steaming.

Back
Top Bottom