Does anyone love roses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leolady

Head Chef
I adore roses. Ever since I was a little girl I have longed for a rose garden of my own.

When I went to college, on campus there was a magical rose garden with a lily pool in the center. I used to spend hours there just breathing the scented breeze and enjoying the beauty.:wacko:

Last year I decided I had waited long enough. I went hog wild buying over 60 packaged roses and planted them on a little hillock by my back porch. Some flourished and some didn't. That did not deter me. I mulched thickly with hay to keep the weeds out and planted wild garlic to keep aphids out and because I think wild garlic tastes better than cultivated varieties. I added a truckload of aged horse and cow manure from a farmer friend's house, alfalfa cubes, and epsom salts to fertilize the bed.

I transplanted violets from the lawn to the rose garden, and I planted tulips and daffodils in clusters last fall.

A friend with a Bobcat dug me a little lily pool which I planted with dwarf waterlilies and added big goldfish. A recirculating fountain was purchased at an auction for $22.

I replaced some of the roses with potted Knockout roses on clearance last year, and I recently bought 10 more potted Knockout roses and 8 more hybrid tea roses on clearance for between $2.50 and $3.25 each.

I am still transplanting violets into the garden, and I plan to plant daisies, more tulips, and more daffodils.:shock:

These are photos of the lily pool and garden last year.

img_1021709_0_14fc10b6549d02d2d95513f8d35f4d26.jpg

img_1021709_1_607e49a5e703408ec20158e951ca2466.jpg

img_1021709_2_8a8117011dbce081a7b9d933eedb26d5.jpg

img_1021709_3_219f52900ab5aff2b2ed19243bd2b27b.jpg

img_1021709_4_0992251b7b1f1b7e96d60a0433902f8f.jpg

And I bought this sign for the garden.
img_1021709_5_e0425b19dfb26426bbf39e0b4b57b3bb.jpg

I will take photos in a couple of days of this year's garden if anyone is interested.

Does anyone else love roses like I do?

I have one of those signs... somewhere.
I got it from my one uncle's house about 40 years ago. He had it in his garden.

I had a beautiful rose garden at the house Buck and I shared. Couldn't take any of them with me to the house Glenn and I now share, so I'll have to start from scratch. That's good, though, because I now know which roses I truly love and those I can do without.

However, a rose garden is waaaaaaay down on the list right now because there are so many other wonderful things here that I can wait for my rose garden when I can do it right. I DO know that I'll have a Kordes Perfecta because it's one of my all-time favorite roses. Beautiful! And one blossom can perfume a whole room.

I, too, love roses.

You know what my favorite flowers are, blue clips and tickseed, like the Creme Brulee. Those things come back year after year and flower the whole season. And unlike roses (I have 5 or 6 of the knock outs), they aren't littered with dead blossoms inbetween blooms. Give me no maintenance every day of the week.

I like roses in theory. In reality, I don't like dealing with the thorns and disease. Your garden looks lovely, but I will stick with peonies, lilies, coneflowers etc. :)

I do have a knockout that was pretty this spring, but the Japanese beetles are stripping it down to bare stems right now. (The coneflowers and lilies are untouched.)

II DO know that I'll have a Kordes Perfecta because it's one of my all-time favorite roses. Beautiful! And one blossom can perfume a whole room.

I, too, love roses.

I will diligently look for this rose asap!!!! :ohmy:

Thanks for telling me about it. What other roses do you recommend? There is always room for a few more roses at my house!:shock:

I love roses too. I have a special fondness for the wild rose though. We have one in our backyard that is HUGE and taking over. I'm having a tough time pruning that bugger though because the thorns are so sharp and pervasive. I'll be looking forward to seeing all your photos!

I love roses too. I have a special fondness for the wild rose though. We have one in our backyard that is HUGE and taking over. I'm having a tough time pruning that bugger though because the thorns are so sharp and pervasive. I'll be looking forward to seeing all your photos!

Thanks everybody. I will post the photos asap. I hope you understand, that I am a neophyte rose gardener and overlook any deficiencies.

My wild rose is finished blooming for the year but I'll try and post a photo for you to see how enormous it is. I'll try to get one of the thorns too.

adore roses. My dad got me started and now my front yard is all roses. I have a yellow climber in the back yard as well as one called double delight it smells like heaven. out front I indulged myself with beautiful tea roses from England white, pale pink , pale yellow and of course my favorite of all is a mini pink rose that blooms fast and furious,I think dad called it a Cecil Brunner, I sometimes pick a few and dry them to use on victorian type dried arrangements. So there you have it. I love your rose garden and say keep going it's beautiful. How lucky you are.
kadesma:)

And don't forget you can make rose water and rose tea, (my argument is that roses are edible--DH thinks non-edible flowers are a waste of "prime" garden real estate).

I love roses :) Like your garden! I would suggest you buy the book "A book of roses by Margeret Roberts" It's available online. Margeret Roberts is a very well known herb lady and brilliant self taught gardener. I've been to her home and gardens in North West in South Africa and she has got countless beautiful rose bushes. She's even got a rose named after her. I love her books and I've bought 7 so far.

And don't forget you can make rose water and rose tea, (my argument is that roses are edible--DH thinks non-edible flowers are a waste of "prime" garden real estate).

I agree, my entire garden is edible, I only grow edible plants and flowers ofr my childrens sake. They love being able to eat the flowers, herbs, berries etc. And they both love making herbal tea, even my 4yr old :)

i only have three rose bushes. one is a beautiful lavender. one of the three is a climber i planted from bare root. i keep them fed and fading ones trimmed. they smell wonderful and cheer my soul.

My Dad loved roses this is one of about 6 that he planted 60yrs ago, when in bloom he would pick one each morning and put it on the lapel of his suit to go to work, before he was cremated I put a flower from the same rose in the lapel of the suit his body was dressed in, he would have said it was a waste of a flower.
garden & BBQ 167.jpg

i am sooooooooo ashamed!

At the store today, I bought 7 more fragrant hybrid tea roses. It is getting to be an obsession!

My dag gum lily pool fountain pump died!

And I can't use my fountain. :ohmy:

I went online looking for another one, and look what I found!!!!!:LOL:

BEAUTIFUL FOUNTAIN! SPARKLES AFTER DARK!

You will Love this fountain in your Pond or Pool! Durable and long lasting Visual Night sparking fountain!

Solar power! Remote control! Add Water Feature Affordably!

Solar Floating Lily Fountain with Battery LED & Remote Control
Floating Solar Lily Fountain Sparkles After Dark
Photovoltaic solar cells power this fountain by day, while NiMH batteries store up energy for your evening enjoyment. A convenient remote control lets you turn the fountain on and off from up to 18 feet away. Comes with three spray heads, a bubbler, and an energy-saving pump that turns off automatically after 40-50 minutes. Nighttime operation is gently illuminated by a built-in light.
Solar-powered pond fountain charges in the sun Softly illuminated at night
Remote control and three spray heads included
This floating lily pad fountain needs no plumbing or wiring. Just place it on the water's surface to add the delightful sight and sound of trickling water to your garden pond. Includes solar-powered pump with filter, and three fountain heads, for a variety of spray options. Maximum height of spray is up to 17". Lily pad is sturdy resin, for years of use. 13" diam.
Operates not only in day time but at night with battery back up inside