Frustration with herb seedlings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
My Cilantro sprouted, grew to about 2 inches in a week and then died. I'm so bummed. I don't know if I should try again or not. Then my other seedlings are doing similar. The basil seems hardy but the chives aren't happening either. They all sprouted while under the plastic in the dark but the ones in the light haven 't done diddly so I moved everyone to the warmer areas but I'm having limited success. My big frustration is the cilantro because I wanted it the most.

sounds like you have a fungus problem called damping off. What kind of soil did you start them in? The water can could also be a source of spores to spread the fungus. To little light after germination plenty of warmth and to much moisture at the same time really rots seedlings. How about some more details

That's frustrating for sure. I decided this year to eliminate as many problems as possible and bought an AeroGarden to do my herbs. They are doing great, while my other potted seeds are doing only so so.

I've never been good at starting seeds in pots to be transplanted later. I find it easier to plant lots of seeds directly in the ground, then thin out the extras.

My guess is they're probably not getting enough sun. A few hours filtered through window glass isn't enough for plants that are normally grown in full sun outdoors. Especially seedlings which are just trying to get started.

I've never been good at starting seeds in pots to be transplanted later. I find it easier to plant lots of seeds directly in the ground, then thin out the extras.

My guess is they're probably not getting enough sun. A few hours filtered through window glass isn't enough for plants that are normally grown in full sun outdoors. Especially seedlings which are just trying to get started.

I agree, I use lights once they are about that tall.

Well, they are all dead. Whatever I did, I did it very wrong. So much for peppers and cilantro this year. A green thumb I do not have.

If at first you don't succeed....
Give it another whirl, callisto!

Mine are barely past the seedling stage, from (egads) a Chia Pet
Herb Garden Kit, LOL! They are in a window that gets good sun, and
I have been watering them lightly from the bottom.
Keeping fingers crossed!

We haven't had sun in a while so even the weather isn't cooperating with me. I think if we see the sun here it might scare people it's been so long. LOL.

I definitely have seeds lift. I can try again, I guess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom