"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Harvesting kale seeds

We let our kale go to seed this spring. Usually in Wisconsin it doesn't make it through the winter but it did make it with the cover frame (cold frame).

It finally started to yellow, so we cut it and put it in bags to dry. I rustle it everyday to keep it non-compacted. I should have enough seeds for kale for the next 5 years or more.

For the most part I am done starting seeds, though I just started some more dill, some mullein for medicinal purposes, some roots of green onion to get more green onion, and some thyme (because we never have enough).
Old 07-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I was going to let my kale go to seed, but just before they flowered, they looked like small, lanky, tender broccoli florets. So I clipped them and stir fried them up with the ramps that were ready at the same time. I liked it so much, im planning on starting some kale in the fall just so they can go to seed again in the spring. I also like growing and harvesting the kale at this time, cause most other times I have issues with bugs. In the cooler early spring months, there are no bugs in site.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
Executive Chef

A friend that also raises kale and keeps the seeds told me she'd let her kale go to seed, then grew kale in that spot for 12 years.

In the area I raised the kale, let it go to seed, I'm pretty sure I'll have kale for years. The seed pods kind of burst as they dry out, and kale starts to grow right away.

So although I was able to take out big bales of seed pods into paper garbage bags, I'm sure I lost a good amount of seed in that area.

I'm growing 3 kinds of kale, in three different areas and I'm glad because although kale is 69 cents a bundle, the bundles have gone from 10-15 stems down to 4-6 stems in each bundle.

I have a blue/purple type, a frilly traditional type, and one that is supposed to be like a palm tree, a kale/cabbage type. Mr bliss said I will have to look at one of the kales and probably start canning it because it looks ready. I'm guessing I'll be hot packing it and pressure canning it, so we have some for winter.
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM   #4
Head Chef

A couple of days ago, I pulled the 4 kale plants in one raised bed - Red Bor - and was surprised that it hadn't bolted at all! Usually, kale bolts here, long before this. I got a lot off the stems earlier on, a few pieces at a time, and was hoping that it would bolt, to save the seeds. Some of the leaves had a little bug damage, but it was pretty clear, for the most part.

Tags
kale